Sledgehammer - Windows 10 Update Control

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by pf100, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Whistler4

Whistler4 MDL Member

Jul 30, 2015
    #1981 Whistler4, May 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
    Just my opinion, but your first option seems most logical to me. Since you're already going to use the latest 21H2 installation files, I think most updates are included, except maybe some device drivers.

That's what I plan to do with my HTPC which is now running a very early version of Win 10 (first disconnecting network and uninstalling Sledgehammer, then using 21H2 setup option to keep files and settings rather than clean install in this case). Before connecting network, I'll reinstall Sledgehammer 2.7.3 rc1a, which has worked very well for me through 21H2.

But I'm not sure there's a big difference in the two options, since you're already committing to installing all the updates in the current 21H2 setup download. I think the main thing is to keep your goal by preventing any upgrade to Windows 11.

Maybe others will weigh in.

2. Coldblackice

Coldblackice MDL Novice

Nov 13, 2012
    Thanks, I ended up doing this. All went well, aside from wermgr.exe being called on a recurring basis (not sure of the reason yet, as it seems to be coming from a number of sources).

3. Whistler4

Whistler4 MDL Member

Jul 30, 2015
    wermgr.exe is Windows Error Reporting and it's execution is probably related to system file errors, according to search results these forums. But SFC errors are to be expected because Sledgehammer locks "hijacker" files (see A3 in FAQ). Check out the post by @Garbellano https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...ows-10-build-10147.61787/page-67#post-1062489 and the next post by @dhjohns about disabling that service (I haven't tried it yet).