Sledgehammer - Windows 10 Update Control

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by pf100, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Whistler4

Whistler4 MDL Member

Jul 30, 2015
    That seems like a reasonable explanation. Your notification is a bit more bold than the little update and shutdown options I see. But I haven't been using Defender, so as I think I recall, maybe that task isn't enabled for me? (Using Norton 360, but I may drop it for Defender after this subscription is up.)

2. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    #2002 Carlos Detweiller, Nov 11, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2022
    Looks like the task is always enabled, but will normally abort if "windefend" is not running. Seems that it is not the culprit for you (is the Windows Defender service running?) but may be for me.

3. Whistler4

Whistler4 MDL Member

Jul 30, 2015
    #2003 Whistler4, Nov 11, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2022
    Yeah, I'm looking at it right now: the submenu for Power has the familiar little orange "badge" (at least for my theme it's orange) on the extra choices that start "Update and". I might have updated with Sledgehammer last week, so it could be residual from that - you know, first step updating before restart, then second step after restart but before opening Windows. So, shear conjecture, but maybe something was still locked for updating until a second reboot. I wonder if Sledgehammer script would or should keep that from showing or working that way. Or else it's really a sneaky update.

Also, I keep Windows Update Blocker (WUB v1.1) on the taskbar and ServiceTray in the notification area, and both show Windows Update service disabled.

4. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    I din't get any update installed automatically. However, I don't use the lower SKUs anymore, only Enterprise or Education, where policies are not largely ignored.

5. theoctavist

theoctavist MDL Junior Member

Apr 16, 2014
    @Whistler4 sorry i just saw your message. so when i open sledgehammer, i get to the select option 1, 2, 3, etc...and nothing happens.

windows 22h2 22622.436

- Your Windows version.
    - What's not working? For example:
    - Does the script fail to run or does it give an error message? it runs and then closes after i select the option (1 in my case)
    - If you tried 2.73RC1a (the last version compiled into a Windows installer file) does the Windows setup program fail to install? i have but will try again.
    - Does the Sledgehammer script run but doesn't do the job of disabling Windows Update? it runs, and force closes after choosing the option.
    - Does it disable Windows Update but won't load WuMgr or WUMT or run other script options? unsure

6. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    #2007 Dark Dinosaur, Nov 18, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2022
    What script ... From my signature?
    It's change the wu group policy registery key
    And it's not good idea to run it with slaghammer Tool
    You don't take aspirin & akamol in same time
    It's a way to disaster :D

The registry key you need to delete is
    HKLM::soft/Ms/win../windowsupdate

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. #2008 Deleted member 1531038, Nov 18, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2022
    Hahaha Dark great Joke :D

8. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    Not a joke
    Both tools serve same purpose
    But work in different way
    So you can expect weird results
    Work the same way on medicine
    Code:
    It's safe to take aspirin as a painkiller with paracetamol or codeine.
    But do not take aspirin with ibuprofen or naproxen without talking to a doctor. 

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. hmm ok .

10. rpo

rpo MDL Expert

Jan 3, 2010
    To re-enable windows update you can execute wub.exe located in the bin folder.

11. theoctavist

Apr 16, 2014
    thank you!!

12. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    Btw ...
    The esc trick will not work,
    In the new w11 terminal

13. theoctavist

Apr 16, 2014
    i executed that, still no dice. i reckon ima have to do a repair. for some reason the entire windows update infrastructure is absent on my pc , looks like? thank you again! (if you have any idea how to diagnose, im all ears though!) .

14. thefly42

thefly42 MDL Novice

Jan 30, 2016
    I tried Version 2.7.3 RC1a and it seemed to work fine on Win 10 Pro Build 19045.2965. The only problem I have is that update of Microsoft Edge is disabled from within Edge. This seems a very serious security problem. Having an up to date Browser is essential.

15. Whistler4

Whistler4 MDL Member

Jul 30, 2015
    I've been using Version 2.7.3 rc1a for over a year now without seeing that issue. I suspect the problem is not with Sledgehammer. Currently, my Win 10 Pro is Build 19045.2846 (no May 2023 updates for me yet). I just checked MS Edge Help/About, and it automatically updated to Version 112.0.1722.64 (that's with Sledgehammer being used -- I also verified with both ServiceTray and Windows Update Blocker v1.1 that Windows Update Service is disabled). So MS Edge updates should be independent. I agree that updated browsers are critical for Internet security. Hopefully, someone can recommend a setting to re-enable Edge updates.

16. freevista

freevista MDL Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Edge has its own update service, which is triggered through Task Scheduler. Check that the tasks "MicrosoftEdgeUpdateTaskMachineCore" and "MicrosoftEdgeUpdateTaskMachineUA" are in Task Scheduler and not disabled. Or you could just download and install Edge from Microsoft, that should re-install and schedule the needed update components.

17. thefly42

thefly42 MDL Novice

Jan 30, 2016
    On uninstalling Version 2.7.3 RC1a and re-enabling Version 2.7.2 Microsoft Edge Updates were automatically re-enabled. No other changes were made to the system. I will go through these steps again to re-confirm this behaviour and report back on what I find. Thank you all on your observations and suggestions. Appreciated.

18. joluke

joluke MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2022
    Has development ceased? I know there is 2.7.3RC1 but no further development has been done in several months so far..

Sorry for asking, just curious how is it going so far? Any news? Thanks for this awesome tool! <3