SLIC via Keyboard?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Phazor, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Ive been thinking...since there are obviously many ways to inject a SLIC into memory, would it be at all possible to do this with a keyboard that has a smartcard cardreader?

At least in theory such a device would give us not only one but even two options, namely via a properly programmed smartcard or simply via the readers firmware itself.

What do you think?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    Can the smartcard boot into DOS ?

3. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Well, i honestly dont know.

I only know that they can be programmed, and that some cards even have their own CPU!

But all in all i know very little about these things. (Yet.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    He means actually loading the SLIC via a smart card, just like it has been done with PXE NICs

5. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Thanks Jinjie, as always i appreciate your trying to help but that is not what i had in mind. I know all about the USB and BootCD methods...what i was wondering is whether it would be possible to use a smartcard or the readers firmware as an alternative to a BIOS mod (like the NIC method) so that the SLIC would get injected on bootup without the need for a grldr or any other extra files on the harddrive.

I myself already have a modded BIOS...i just thought i pass on the idea because if this can actually work then it could be a nice alternative to BIOS and NIC mods. After all smartcards and smartcard readers are not very expensive and thus easily replaced if something goes wrong...

6. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Exactly. So that no loader is needed.

7. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    Asleep at the wheel, dur flash card and smart card not the same thing

8. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    CreditCards etcetera are smartcards.

They are not just storage media, they can also be programmed to execute programs upon insertion.

Like i said, some types of smartcards even have their own CPU onboard.