Slim Laptop

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Pasta88, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Pasta88

Pasta88 MDL Expert

Jun 17, 2009
    I was wondering if any users here have slim laptops and what you thought of them compared to a regular laptop?

thx

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Do you mean the ones that are about 1.5cm thick or less and do not have a standard hard drive, replaceable battery, etc. or something else?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. maddogster

maddogster MDL Senior Member

Mar 23, 2015
    am using an hp elitebook x360 G3 1030 with 8th gen i5 and very nice and stable on windows 10 pro 18362.10024 almost 1909 update :) nice and lite at 2.75 lbs and is a 2 in 1 so it folds to a touch screen tablet; although the keyboard on underside touches hands if you are holding it so that my only pet peeve that it somehow needs a cover if holding for long as the keys may press against fingers or lap even though disabled in folded mode; think of this as a touchscreen tablet version of macbook air as it is all silver aluminum and it can also run latest mac osx catalina if want in virtual

i have other laptops that are heavy but use those at desktops as they are business models of dell and hp ( over 10 yrs old ) and a consumer dell inspiron 15.6 6th gen i5 laptop again touchscreen and heavy but use as my desktop with win 10, server 2016 and 2019 datacentre

4. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    The problem with does kind of super slim devices are their very fragile and once the they break u cant really work on them if u try to open them u break them...u have to send them to a repair center were they usually swap it for another refurbish device like MS does with their surfaces.

5. maddogster

Mar 23, 2015
    yes everything in life are toys so the ones with the most money or lucky in many contests prosper otherwise techies like me for many decades content with decent laptop for best price i.e. i5 8th gen or higher for 499 or less with ssd of 256gb or more, 8gb or more memory and if lucky higher end gpu otherwise intel built in good enough depending on what you do; also i was born with soft hands or manual dexterity so i have never broken anything by dropping unlike many so my stuff lasts much longer than most :) also have many devices so i can pick and choose what to take outside and kepp the heavy laptops as desktop at home; business slim laptops are built much better than consumer models just like ibm thinkpad got its name very ugly and conservative but was a workhorse and very stable and reliable and bets driver support in its day and lenovo bought that brand recognition; expensive laptops worth the 3 yr extended at home warranty and if needed the comprehensive spill warranty depending on your habits as i don't dine with my devices as companions in front of me :) I agree the slim are not really meant for adding internal as batteries and memory and ssd usually fixed but external and hubs can always expand more as well as when external gpu's eventually come down in price

6. usermydigitallyfe

usermydigitallyfe MDL Member

Oct 30, 2016
    The Lenovo Yoga 920 is a slim laptop-to-tablet convertible that has is one of the best 14-inch ultra slim laptops on the market. The screen is bright, performance is great, the sound system is good and it has a long battery life. A great choice if you want a laptop and tablet combination.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. maddogster

Mar 23, 2015
    try doing that with alienware, omen or panasonic toughbook and then come back with real life results instead of speculation between all of todays crap hardware not meant for unrealistic hammerings :) hell smartphone can't withstand baby drops depending on surface it hits or angle of drop or how long submerged :) people who are prone to breaking will break no matter what and people like me that have never broken stuff in many decades will continue to have that success as it is all hand eye coordination and manual dexterity which certain parts of population will never have as not in their nature from birth :)