Slimdown10 – turn Windows 10 22H2 or LTSC 2021 into classic/legacy Windows

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Deleted member 190847, Feb 15, 2023.

1. KMPLAYER

KMPLAYER MDL Junior Member

Jan 12, 2014
    I followed the steps you wrote point by point exactly, but it didn't work for me.

Just a clarifying question: If I want to turn off system restore again, is this what the code will look like?

Code:
    reg "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore" /v "DisableSR" /f
    reg "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore" /v "DisableConfig" /f

2. No, I used reg delete commands here. Your commands are changed and incorrect.

3. KMPLAYER

Jan 12, 2014
    What should the code look like correctly to disable system restore?

4. Disable System Restore
    Code:
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore" /v "DisableSR" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore" /v "DisableConfig" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Enable System Restore
    Code:
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore" /v "DisableSR" /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore" /v "DisableConfig" /f

5. Run sc qc UsoSvc command and make sure that UsoSvc is not disabled.
    Run sc query UsoSvc and check whether UsoSvc is running.
    Run net start UsoSvc and check whether you can start UsoSvc.

You can also try to delete all Windows Update policies, reboot your system and try again:
    Code:
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate" /f
    The last solution could work for you, because you are you using Win10 21H2 LTSC not the 22H2 for which these policies were prepared.

6. KMPLAYER

Jan 12, 2014
    I followed the steps but I don't know what is UsoSvc and where to check if it is enabled or not?

(I found it, it was a service: Update Orchestrator Service (UsoSvc)).

7. Update Orchestrator Service (UsoSvc) is the main Windows Update service. Without it, Windows Update cannot work.
    Use cmd.exe (Command Prompt), run commands I have posted you and check results.

Also be sure that you have deleted WindowsUpdate policies, as I have posted as they are not appropriate for Win10 LTSC.

8. KMPLAYER

Jan 12, 2014
    Now it worked. For me, UsoSvc was stopped by default and was on manual - it was like that from the day of the installation of Windows 10 (3 days ago) and it was not touched, apparently it was set to be that way.

9. Both: Manual or Auto states should be ok for UsoSvc.

10. I have already posted you command for Command Prompt (cmd.exe)
    Code:
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate" /f

11. Secure Boot DBX update, it is ok.
    Normally it should be already included in my script, but only for Win10 22H2 retail version.
    I do not use LTSC, so I hasn't prepared updates for LTSC.

12. KMPLAYER

Jan 12, 2014
    Yes, yes.

wkeller, I have a question for you.

Basically many around the world are using Enterprise LTSC (not just me). Why are you avoiding it as support for your script?!

Don't take it as a criticism, it's a question. I'm curious why script support doesn't include this version. :cool:

I assume you have 22H2 installed and only on that you can test if your script works correctly, but not on Enterprise LTSC 21H2.

13. egalerst

egalerst MDL Junior Member

Sep 3, 2017
    Happened to have the same thing with the nvidia driver today on a barebone v1.24 Test.
    In my case it worked as soon as i reverted the DisableRootCertUpdate option.
    Maybe some signature checking stuff...

14. monstrocity

monstrocity MDL Novice

Jun 4, 2016
    @KMPLAYER There really isn't that much to "slim down" in LTSC to begin with. If you want to chop it, maybe try MSMG Toolkit or NTLite. If you only want to disable telemetry, you might be more interested in freddie-o's script found here: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...lemetry-repository.63874/page-66#post-1686849. The target audience for wkeller's project is primarily W1022H2 Pro users, and he has repeated numerous times not to use it on 21H2 LTSC.

15. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018

The nasty AV, search/search2/cortana, Edgium, just to name few things seem already enough. Cleaner != Clean

The target audience is imagined by the "movie director", but at the end of the day who decide to go to watch a movie is the audience itself...

16. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018