Slimdown10 – turn Windows 10 22H2 or LTSC 2021 into classic/legacy Windows

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Deleted member 190847, Feb 15, 2023.

1. jim_p

jim_p MDL Senior Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Ok. Here is my suggestion on that.
    What if the office and onenote uwp apps are not under \Program Files\WindowsApps on w10 home? I have no idea where they may be though.

2. Probably these Start Menu tiles are built-in ads, no apps. I will check.

3. #603 Deleted member 190847, May 27, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2023
    (OP)
    As I have said, Office and OneNote tiles are live ads, not apps. When you click on them, respective application get downloaded and installed.
    They will be never installed automatically, unless you manually click on these tiles.

You can safely remove them from Start Menu (with right mouse key -> uninstall/remove) instead of downloading and installing (with left mouse key).

But if you want to get rid of them permanently, you can remove the file:
    install.wim\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\DefaultLayouts.xml

or you can modify Slimdown10.cmd by adding the last 2 lines in proper place (just find SystemPaneSuggestionsEnabled and add the last 2 lines below that)
    Code:
    Reg add "HKLM\TK_NTUSER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager" /v "SubscribedContent-88000164Enabled" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f >nul
    Reg add "HKLM\TK_NTUSER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager" /v "SubscribedContent-88000165Enabled" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f >nul
    Reg add "HKLM\TK_NTUSER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager" /v "SystemPaneSuggestionsEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f >nul

REM Delete default start menu tiles
    "%~dp0tools\%HostArchitecture%\NSudo.exe" -U:T -P:E -UseCurrentConsole -Wait cmd /c "del /q /f "%~dp0mount\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\DefaultLayouts.xml"" >nul 2>&1
    Then these tiles with ads will be gone forever.

4. jim_p

jim_p MDL Senior Member

Dec 11, 2013
    You said that they are live ads just now. But, arent spotify, netflix, candy crush etc live ads too, like most of the entire right side of pinned tiles the start menu?
    On the other hand, if they are ads, why do they appear under settings > apps > apps and features, alongside the stock uwp apps like weather? Oem ads that are added by manifacturers like hp, e.g. booking, amazon, tripadvisor etc are plain web shortcuts (= .url files) inside the start menu.

Anyway, I will check those new lines today. I am on linux right now, so please excuse any mistake in the above paths.

5. #606 Deleted member 190847, May 27, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2023
    (OP)
    You are messing completely different situations.

We have been talking about very specific case, ie. Windows 10 Home modded by Slimdown10 v1.50.
    In this case, Office and OneNote tiles were just skeletons (ads) with no applications installed.
    Only if you clicked on them, downloading (and then installing) process were started. It is pure and simple.

Anyway, just use updated version 1.51 (above) and forget about this entire discussion. Your Start Menu will be clean (no tiles anymore).

For me it is ok. Never experienced this issue with cleaning WinSxS folder.

WinSxS.gif

6. jim_p

jim_p MDL Senior Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Although I agree on that, they do not seem like ads on a stock home install. The vm in the picture got no internet connection at all, starting from its installation. See how office and onenote, which are installed apps, differ from the ones that show as "download arrows"? These would be netflix, spotify, candy crush etc.

Although I have downloaded v1.51, went through its settings to change what I need and made a new iso from it, I have not tested it yet. A rough Sunday started here 5-6 hours ago. I hope tomorrow will be smoother :/

Attached Files:

• ads.jpg
      ads.jpg
      File size:
      77.7 KB
      Views:
  7. cyberthug

cyberthug MDL Junior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    #608 cyberthug, May 28, 2023
    Last edited: May 28, 2023
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    #609 tcntad, May 28, 2023
    Im sure Office isnt 104KB if it actually would be installed, right? Office 355 is 28MB
    But Im making a slimmed image now so I'll get back "soon"

Edit: I dont have those so something you've done to the script?

Edit2 on a clean machine, its a live tile
    upload_2023-5-28_18-7-30.png

9. maxsol

maxsol MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2023
    Hello wkeller,

the touchkeyboard, not the normal screenkeyboard, doesn't work here on two different items.
    On logon it works with registry-mod.
    Do you know how to activate this touchkeyboard?

10. maxsol

maxsol MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2023
    Hello,

I guess the app i need is tabtip.exe.

11. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    So you can
    It could be that the service is disabled/removed "TabletInputService"
    Lines with Tablet are easily found
    Tabtip.exe is found in slimmed version 1.51 so its working for me

12. maxsol

maxsol MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2023
    tabtip.exe is on my system, too. It works on startup at login window.
    But on running system I cannot open the touchkeybord. Tasklistbutton don't work.
    One tablet is a Dell 2in1 and other is a surface.

13. Max572

Max572 MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2022
    Sorry. I have a really newbie question. Every time there is a new update to this tool. I need to reinstall Win10, is that right?

14. cyberthug

Jan 9, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. cyberthug

Jan 9, 2017
    #616 cyberthug, May 28, 2023
    Of course no, the author works hard to implement new options according to our different environments, if you do not need this "bonus", you do not have to reinstall with each version Windows.

16. Max572

Max572 MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2022
    Got it. Thank you very much.

17. dariwonka

dariwonka MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2012
    Hello.
    I have just created a installation .iso with MSMG ToolKit removing all the bloatware.
    Whats the difference with this Slimdown10 software?

Thanks

18. cyberthug

Jan 9, 2017
  19. Windows_Addict

Windows_Addict MDL Expert

Jul 19, 2018