Slimdown11 – turn Windows 11 or LTSC 2024 into classic/legacy Windows

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by SunLion, Mar 2, 2025.

  1. Mavericks Choice

    Mavericks Choice MDL Guru

    Aug 5, 2015
    4,420
    17,270
    150
    @ Sunlion, ok though I haven't experienced this before, it would appear the predownloaded updates become redundant & while the script runs, a new set are downloaded & integrated into the wim?
     
  2. bendeyar

    bendeyar MDL Senior Member

    Mar 14, 2019
    276
    613
    10
    #2182 bendeyar, Aug 23, 2026
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2026

    Hello.
    It seems you used some other script.
    This script really reduced the size of the install.wim.
    I'm not at home right now, but once I get home I'll provide a picture of the size after installing Windows 11.

    These photos prove that the sizes have indeed been reduced.
    1. install.wim created with "26H1_Creator_2.1_8".
    2. Installed operating system "Win11_Pro_26H1_28000.2704"
     

    Attached Files:

  3. bendeyar

    bendeyar MDL Senior Member

    Mar 14, 2019
    276
    613
    10
    First I download the updates.
    Then I turn off the internet and use the script without any problems.
     
  4. SunLion

    SunLion MDL Expert

    May 11, 2011
    1,776
    6,952
    60
    When using the GenerateUpdateList.ps1 script, it is executed again by the main script even after the updates have been downloaded; however, no issues are expected.
     
  5. verndog

    verndog MDL Senior Member

    May 3, 2010
    285
    136
    10
    There's the option after creating the images to make an ISO. I used that to install the OS. The other script you mentioned was prior to using this Slimdown11.
     
  6. SunLion

    SunLion MDL Expert

    May 11, 2011
    1,776
    6,952
    60
    To analyze the issue and try to help you, we need the log file, please.
     
  7. verndog

    verndog MDL Senior Member

    May 3, 2010
    285
    136
    10
    Your right. Never thought to keep it.
    I gave up and deleted all the files, deciding I liked my version instead...
    I'll have to download the zip file again, and run the program again. The log file, it was huge. I wasn't expecting the process to
    take so long to complete. It lease 1/2 hour. Now that I know how it works I'll be prepared for the time. It will be a while.
     
  8. raptorddd

    raptorddd MDL Addicted

    Aug 17, 2019
    858
    445
    30
    not sure why but i also posted similar question i said its called slim but the final iso size is like almost twice the size. i think some files werent deleted or removed.
     
  9. SunLion

    SunLion MDL Expert

    May 11, 2011
    1,776
    6,952
    60
    #2189 SunLion, Aug 24, 2026
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2026
    (OP)
    The same answer applies to you: we need the log file to see how you carried out the process.

    For example, in the last test I ran with version 2xH2_Creator_17.4, the result was as follows:
     
  10. Mavericks Choice

    Mavericks Choice MDL Guru

    Aug 5, 2015
    4,420
    17,270
    150
    Yes, my wim making a win 11 Pro on latest script was 4.56gb without running it through NTLite.
     
  11. raptorddd

    raptorddd MDL Addicted

    Aug 17, 2019
    858
    445
    30
    i did give you the log . i remember you mention that windows 11 as a host for the script
    i did but i was for windows 10 but after several tries it did crreated a slimmer version wich am using. no need to check you already did i think you mention that runing the script on windows 11 as host could be the problem.

    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/slimdown10_v2-0-2-continued.88599/page-74#post-1915827
     
  12. verndog

    verndog MDL Senior Member

    May 3, 2010
    285
    136
    10
    Log file. One hour to build.
     

    Attached Files:

  13. SunLion

    SunLion MDL Expert

    May 11, 2011
    1,776
    6,952
    60
    Several errors were found.
    We recommend using version 26100.1742 as the source, since newer versions are already bloated with new components that Microsoft wants us to use...

    Additionally, the script is set up to remove the Microsoft-Copilot and UserExperience-Recall packages from version 26100.1742, using the specific identifiers for those packages in that version.

    Several "Access is denied" errors occurred.

    Did you disable your antivirus before running the script?

    Did you close all running apps and open Windows Explorer windows before starting the script?

    Another potential issue is that you are using Windows 11 Professional (x64) as the host system.

    I can't say for sure that this is the cause, but there are many reports that Windows 11 is terrible for running scripts.
     
  14. verndog

    verndog MDL Senior Member

    May 3, 2010
    285
    136
    10
    Those errors are not important. It creates the iso and installed windows to an empty partition correctly.
    What I failed to do was select windows security when the menu came up... this was a test anyway.
    Now using dism++, powercfg off, the result was near the same installed size to my way of making windows11.

    My way is install the Windows ISO, then dism++, powercfg off, and use "Raphire/Win11Debloat". All this on a live system.

    This seems to take longer. One hour for the script to complete, then using the ISO to install Windows.
    I'm intrigued with the process though.... There is one thing you scripts build a complete slimmed ISO, mine requires manual labor.
     
  15. SunLion

    SunLion MDL Expert

    May 11, 2011
    1,776
    6,952
    60
    That is a personal choice.

    Good luck to you!
     
  16. raptorddd

    raptorddd MDL Addicted

    Aug 17, 2019
    858
    445
    30
    slimdown 11 doesnt just slim windows it has many tweaks too like spectre disabled ect.
     
  17. DrakeBond

    DrakeBond MDL Novice

    Oct 28, 2020
    46
    79
    0
    Hello, @sergey130270
    Can you send me your new script? I would be very grateful.
     
  18. sergey130270

    sergey130270 MDL Senior Member

    May 15, 2014
    358
    620
    10
  19. verndog

    verndog MDL Senior Member

    May 3, 2010
    285
    136
    10
    Third time a charm...
    Down loaded and used "us_windows_11_consumer_editions_version_25h2_updated_aug_2026_x64_dvd_ec320f81.iso"
    to complete the process. Zero errors. The ISO I was using, was from May 2026. Apparently I needed the newer issue. Also it took less time to complete.
     
  20. DrakeBond

    DrakeBond MDL Novice

    Oct 28, 2020
    46
    79
    0
    #2200 DrakeBond, Aug 28, 2026
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2026

    Attached Files: