Slow Start BIOS [Asus P7P55D E-Pro + Modded BIOS SLIC2.1]

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by LFDDatMyDigitalLife, Aug 23, 2012.

1. LFDDatMyDigitalLife

LFDDatMyDigitalLife MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2010
    Hi everyone,

Here is my problem:

When I power on my desktop computer (i.e. when I push on the power button), it takes 15 seconds of black screen before the BIOS display. When the BIOS display and load, everything is normal and the computer starts quite fast.

So I wonder what could take 15 seconds at the beginning?
    I think it's kind of related to the hardware (the POST check or else)...
    Does someone ever heard about that kind of issue?

Thanks for help :)

Config:
    ASUS P7P55D E-Pro
    Modded BIOS 1.602 SLIC 2.1
    ATI 5750 HD
    2 HDD
    4 Go RAM
    Windows 7

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Have you got a card reader? They can slow the bootup process. Unplug it & see.
    Have you got express gate turned on in the bios? If you don't have it setup then switch it off.
    Have you other external devices plugged into usb(apart from k/b & mouse)?
    Most boards have an extra sata/esata controller. If you don't use it switch it off.
    I think your board has a jmicron controller..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dewot

dewot MDL Junior Member

Apr 25, 2008
    I am running that board right now.

It's gonna be the Marvell SATA III controller that slows it down.. turn that off. You can also turn off Express Gate in the bios if you don't use it. It helps a little bit.

New bios 1702 out that fixes some RAID issue, but I saw a comment on the ASUS forums by someone who said that caused a problem with correct ID of his ram, so proceed with caution!

4. thatguychuck

thatguychuck MDL Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Also check the boot options/order. If it's checking to boot from network that can also slow things down.

5. ELiTEFX

ELiTEFX MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2012
    #5 ELiTEFX, Sep 1, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
    Just guessing but it sounds like a power supply issue to me. I'd get it tested or if it's old or under powered (500 watts or less) buy a bigger more powerful one. Also, could be POST (power on self test) slowing you down. Make sure your ram,video card etc are seated properly in their slots...:cool:

6. picolino

picolino MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2012
    I use the same board in my system, and the 15 seconds of black screen at power ON, is the same here.

see my System:

ASUS P7P55D-E PRO (1602 official bios)
    Core i5 750 @ 3.2GHz
    Nvidia GT240 (temp. video card)
    4GB
    Windows 8 enterprise

Bios config. :

POST LED's: OFF
    Quick Boot: ON
    Marvell Controller: OFF
    JMicron Controller: ON
    Nec USB 3.0: ON
    HD Audio: ON

But, independent of these settings, i get the same 15 seconds of black screen.

In my opinion this is normal with this board (very slow POST).

Sorry about english errors....;)