small problem with pic

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bdearen, Oct 19, 2009.

1. bdearen

bdearen MDL Junior Member

Oct 3, 2009
  2. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    The icon is showing the nic geting an ip address. Sounds like the driver is having a hard time loading. Check for an update one.

3. bdearen

Oct 3, 2009
    it's the latest update I have an asus p5n-d board so I downloaded the drivers from asus.com should I download them from somewhere else? onboard nic btw

4. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
  5. bdearen

Oct 3, 2009
    so I installed the newer drivers off the nvidia site. Same problem. I have Verizon fios with a router so I am guessing it uses DHCP. I really am not sure how to set it to static. And yes that is the board ect.. that I have. thanks

6. bdearen

Oct 3, 2009
    anyone have any other ideas? Check out my pic I linked in the first post.

7. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    #7 gentoo, Oct 19, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
    Open cmd and run this command ipconfig /all

Look and see if it says DHCP Enabled yes/no

What model router do you have?

It may also be something in your start up. What all programs do you have at start up. It may be your av software.

8. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    To set your nic to static you need to run the ipconfig /all command and take note what it says for Default Gateway and DNS addresses.

Then go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections

Right click your Network adapter and choose properties.

Select Internet Protocol Version 4 and click Properties

Then put a tick mark in use the following IP address

Put in 192.168.1.100 for the ip address

Put in 255.255.255.0 for the subnet mask

Put the gateway address in from cmd

Put a tick mark in Use the following DNS server address and put in the address from cmd

Put the

9. bdearen

Oct 3, 2009
    ok did all of the above rebooted with a static ip. Actuallly rebooted several times but the same problem persists. I don't know what to do

10. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Open Msconfig and turn off everything from the startup. See if it fixes it. If so start truning things back on one at a time till it happens again. If this not work then I am at a loss.

11. bdearen

Oct 3, 2009
    yeah I tried that to start with. All thats running is printer drivers. I disabled those but still same problem :(
    Anyone have any other ideas??????????????

12. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    do you have a firewall installed ? try disabling it completely. i had the same problem lang ago in xp, but don't know exactly how i solved it back then. it's a long time ago.

see if it persists with firewall OFF

13. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    also look in the logs and see if you can find any errors in the system or application log. relay them to me please...

14. bdearen

Oct 3, 2009
    #15 bdearen, Oct 19, 2009
    (OP)
    how do I view these? on win7 64 Also another note is this is a fresh install of RTM Was having the same problem, couldn't get rid of it so I formated/reinstalled. And i still have the problem :p

15. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    it seems like one of the network services you're running causes this problem. obviously disabling them isn't an option, as we need those services.

You could try removing the nic in the device manager, and then upon reboot reinstall it with the latest driver available.
    It could solve the issue alltogether.

16. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    control panel -> show large pictograms (above right) -> system management -> logs

there you can search the application log and the system log for any errors.

17. SirSilentBob

SirSilentBob MDL Senior Member

Jun 5, 2009
    #18 SirSilentBob, Oct 19, 2009
    I too have Verizon Fios, and I am lucky in the fact that I made the tech installing mine NOT use the coax/MOCA connection. I am therefore able to use my own router, and not the actiontech one, which sucks in my opinion. I instead use one that I loaded the mega build of DDWRT on and go from there with my customizations. I've had all kinds of issues with the actiontech routers, coupled with the fact that at one time verizon was limiting the ram that the router could use for the NAT table, and once you hit the absurdly low limit, you could not establish any more connections, making the internet appear dead. (I got the verizon guy to finally admit why, at the time they were doing that to limit people using torrents.)

Are you using MOCA or ethernet for your internet? (If you have Fios TV, you are most certainly using MOCA.) If you are not, and are lucky enough to have a Verizon tech who was not a lazy ass and used the existing coax at your house, then switch your router to a different one.

Be aware that the way the MAC address security is with Verizon, you will have to wait either an hour or so, or call Verizon and ask them to refresh your DHCP lease for the router. If you have an active lease, then the Veriaon dhcp server will not issue another one out while the current one is active, so switching routers, (unless you clone the MAC address) will make it appear your internet is dead for a while.

18. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    #19 genuine555, Oct 19, 2009
    Don't think his issue lies there imho. The problem resides at his nic or network services or firewall issues. a firewall issue could be very likely, software or the hardware firewall of the router itself. he needs to try out the three things i suggested above. then we can dig deeper into the problem.

EDIT : the only way to pinpoint the problem, is to rule out certain scenarios, beginning with possible firewall or software issues. In most cases of networking issues, software is to blaim...

19. bdearen

Oct 3, 2009
    Alright Logs looked ok I didn't see anything in there that looked out of place. Also I have the verizon router BUT I made them install a direct ethernet line from the box outside directly to my router so no coax here. As for firewall I tried to disable the windows firewall same problem. The firewall on the router is set to the lowest setting wihch is Allow all incoming/outgoing. I am going to try and remove the nic and reinstall and I will update thanks :p