Smart Script for Multi OS Recognition (Powershell)

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by Smorgan, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #61 Smorgan, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
    (OP)
    I have continued working on the OEM Pack stuff time permitting. Here is what what will happen.

The Powershell OEM stuff is wrapping up with the addition of the ability to dynamically pull the setup files. These will be set to variables and used during the install. Along with this we can dynamically create the Shortcuts as well.

I'm going to post this to the thread as the final version of the OEM Pack. It's a last hurrah of sorts to show that the way of doing OEM Packs with command line is flawed. We can do so much more by loading a powershell version. I hope with time this is adopted by other people on the forum. I know this doesn't get much attention but it is better to be bleeding edge than far behind.

On a side note it will take time to form the documentation. This is not a simple piece of work.

2. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #62 Smorgan, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    (OP)
    After some deliberation another person pointed out that it would be useful to have an oem pack that is multilingual. This would effectively mean we have controllers that can access CMD, Powershell, Python, and any other language. I have been carefully testing this out functionality wise while also updating the privacy script with some help from guardian. There is some crossover here and there as I am by no means going to claim credit as its a culmination of scripts around mdl. Anyways the fun continues.

I have also thrown the code stuff over to Github to more easily manage the development branches as well as having my own local build :)

3. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #63 Smorgan, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
    (OP)
    I'm going to kick 12.1 Prototype 3 online.

It should work with the support list properly. Might have a few hickups but other than should be fine.

At this point we have a multilingual controller for the starter area. Python is installed during the setup so it is accessible on post install. If you look you can also see that there is an internet check in the global variables so we can start pulling down files in the future. I haven't really had time to take care of that part yet as I was trying to figure out python stuff.

At this point the variable support for python does not exist. Aka variable loading normally done from the global variables script is in PowerShell. I am still trying to figure out how to load it into Python. That being said the coding for the adding of languages into the pack is solid. This is not the last prototype for 12.1 as there are still a few things that I want to figure out.

Enjoy while I try to figure stuff out.

4. LostED

LostED SVF Patch Lover

Jul 30, 2009
    #64 LostED, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Looks good LostED.

I am working on a means to parse the oem variables into different languages. At the moment it looks like I have a solution to make this work. The only downside is that I have to learn the languages I want to bring into the fold aka python. On the upside I think I have a standardized means to add languages now to make this work. :)

6. Magissia

Magissia MDL Novice

Dec 25, 2012
    Greetings, to be sure I understand, this project aims to be able to automate stuff after windows installation on a machine, correct ?
    Is the branding supposed to be yours (nova) whatever happens, or does the project aims to allow anyone to easily brand the stuff ?
    How are we supposed to inject your work to make it actually trigger when some guy boot their computer the first time (and make sure it redoes that if said some guy use windows's refresh/reinstall function)
    Your solutions seems actually nice to keep one ISO with tweaks to be applied everywhere, and put computer's specific stuff on the scripts (Hello drivers).

Regards

7. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #67 Smorgan, Jan 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
    (OP)
    I was on winter break.

@1: It aims to automate the install of software, tweaks, etc onto the OS no matter what the version.
    @2: The branding is done by me at the moment however its easy enough to change.
    @3: In order to inject this you need an ISO editor. Then you inject into the ISO of Windows into the sources folder like any other OEM Pack.
    @4: Basically the Setup.ps1 controls the install during the setup while Starter.ps1 controls after install.

Now concerning drivers. There was some thought put into injecting drivers but given the hardware can differ on a machine by machine basis it was declined. At the moment development is being done to make python useful on windows. While also looking at wget to download software as well. Also its about turning the variable stuff into an api of sorts so its easier to access outside of powershell and cmd. Ultimately it makes it easy to modify a variety of images while also being precise. PM me if you need further info.

8. kuroda

kuroda MDL Senior Member

Aug 25, 2012

...Well,I put the $oem$ folder/sources in the iso,begin install the system, but after the network configuration the installation enter in wait...wait...wait.. and never ends...Its works in Win 10 TH2?.....$oem$ folders?.....:confused:

9. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #69 Smorgan, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
    (OP)
    UPDATE:

Upon further review with an experimental copy of NOVA I was not able to get Windows 10 to work at all. This is clearly a Windows 10 issue because this thing even works on Vista (Freaking vista of all things). Also it seems that the setup just crashes and just starts looping over and over again. I will continue to comment out sections to see what is causing the issue.

10. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #70 Smorgan, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    (OP)
    After a good amount of Testing here goes...

Windows 10 RTM: Works like a charm
    Windows 10 Build 10586 TH2: Works like a charm
    Windows 10 Build 11102 Preview: Bugs out
    Windows 10 Build 14251 Redstone: Bugs out

I decided to flip through 3 versions of Windows 10 to get this bug tracked down. I first tested it with Windows 8.1 then Windows 7 which worked as expected. I then did a bit of bug checking to see if it was a script issue (this wasn't the case). I then downloaded 3 builds of Windows 10 those being RTM, TH2, and 11102 (Preview). RTM worked liked a charm where as th2 and afterwards was broken. I then decided to see if it was a bios issue under VMware and switched to EFI. This saw the windows 10 explorer crash after loading the apps script and presumably the tweaks script. To conclude this is a bug in Windows 10 TH2 and versions that come after build 10586 and not an issue with Nova OEM. I'm going to start troubleshooting the OEM stuff to come up with a fix.

11. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #71 Smorgan, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    (OP)
    I decided to go back and see if it works on the Windows 10 build 14251 redstone build. After a big of testing it does not with the latest development build I have of nova pack (12.1 Prototype 5). Little bit of explaining I've pushed on to Prototype 5 which is in early work after fixing some bugs in the multi language portion of the pack. I of course added some stuff along the way but I'm still playing around with some stuff. I don't really have a time table for 12.1 lol.

UPDATE: Looks like Windows 10 build 10586 is on its way to working. Guess there is some positive aspects to this week.

12. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #72 Smorgan, Feb 12, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
    (OP)
    Ok story time.

I tested out my latest prototype on Windows 10 build 10586 and it looks to be working. At this time Windows 10 specifically Redstone is not supported through traditional means aka adding the oem folder to the ISO. However I am working on a solution to mitigate this as it is taking some work to get around Microsoft's crappy coding. Basically the next item on the list that is being tested is use of an OEM pack with built in live install support. Aka take the entire scripts folder out of the oem pack and throwing it into a folder to run a script to do a live install.

:)

13. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
    #73 The_Guardian, Feb 13, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    You can use the setup.exe with cmd line switches to run your setupcomplete.cmd file and point it where ever. ;) This is what some oem's are doing.

14. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #74 Smorgan, Feb 13, 2016
    (OP)
    True but having the ability to have a OEM pack with live install ie install after everything done is nice. Ya the variable system is giving me a few issues which I'm slowly fixing. I'll check it out this weekend my head is above water and I'm out of the crazy ride called this weekend. O ya Deadpool was awesome.

Another issue is that the Redstone (14xxx) builds are still in development so expecting them to work without bugs just isn't smart. I mean the fast ring builds are a crap shoot bug wise. That being said Live install allows a level of flexibility not possible in a normal oem pack :)

15. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
    Oh crap, I just remembered I had similar issue when th2 came out and it was the script crashing and causing oem info to be deleted auto by windows install. I wonder if the same is happening to you? Can you add some checks to determine if the oem contents are being copied over before and after your script is ran? Might be worth checking none the less. I highly doubt that a windows OS will not have a oem folder to run oobe info because oem's use it. Oem's would then switch to Linux for sure. lol

16. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #76 Smorgan, Feb 13, 2016
    (OP)
    At the present time I have had very little issues with TH2. I've been modifying the scripts at a hectic pace so I haven't really been able to tell. I could add some checks to the script sort of like an install code into the registry. However I haven't really felt the need to do so at this time. lol

I should have a copy of the powershell variables.txt file over to you soon. I need to do some modifications on the python side so that it is in the correct directory ;). Then a looping of the variables should occur to populate the variables into python. My way of nailing Redstone (RS) is live install bc RS is so unstable.

17. eazy28

eazy28 MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2011
    Hi,like your project,i am on win10 pr x64 and tried with Nova 12.1 - Prototype 3,but get following error: Internal error:Failed to expand shell folder constant "userdesktop".
    When you release 12.1 Prototype 5? cant wait to get it working on 1511 build.

18. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #78 Smorgan, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    (OP)
    In regards to that error. That error for Prototype 3 is actually easy to get around. That error is only happening on Windows 10 (thnx MS) in order to just proceed click enter. This will continue the install under windows 10. Prototype 5 has the same issue because of Windows 10 shrugs.

At the moment build 1511 is good to go. I was working on Live install ability last which was about a week ago. When my school work is in a manageable amount aka my head is above water. I'll continue with python Development sadly something has to give to keep college work on track :p

19. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    At this point I'm finally getting a new laptop in to start using Windows 10 TH2. Now I'm going to take the time to rip the guts out of the OS while removing cortana and edge. I'll probably compile some scripts then take it to town. I'll probably add these into the privacy portion of the pack as External Scripts. These will make it easier for people to decide what they want to do. I've put together a list of items to complete the rip out of the OS. I won't have a problem finding all the registry pieces by using registrar pro. Only problem will probably be how deep it goes into the OS for each part.

20. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #80 Smorgan, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
    (OP)
    Just a quick question.

Is a 75 MB download for a speed check too much for people?

Also uhhh there is going to need to be a s**t ton of changes for the main page lol