So I just moved and bought a 50" TV online...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JFKI, Apr 5, 2016.

1. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    So I just moved and bought a new 50" TV online...
    It is being shipped via Fedex and will arrive Thursday, and they want MY signature.
    I work so I thought I'd try Fedex's "Delivery Manager" to have the thing delivered after I get home from work.
    After a dozen or so attempts to sign up for this and failing, I called their tech support and found out that you have to reside in the same place for 90 days before you are allowed to sign up for this.

What I want to know is this :
    What database are they plugged into which keeps track of how many days you have lived in the same place.

( Don't say "The Orwellian database". :rolleyes:)

2. Tarwin

Tarwin MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2014
    Beats me as it really depends on what kind of residence it is. In some places as utilities are included, they are not a reliable source. If it were ten years ago I'd suggest the phone company but I don't think landlines are a reliable point of reference any more. Maybe they called your landlord? And why would they have such a policy? Are they afraid that you'll accept the package and then move two days later? And so what if you did?

3. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    Yup, Utilities are in fact included.
    Nope, don't have a landline.
    Good luck getting anything out of my landlords, they got hit with an invasion of privacy lawsuit a half dozen or so years ago and lost.
    Very good question.
    What business of theirs would that be ?
    Exactly.

4. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    I hope you receive the new TV and find it meeting your undoubtedly high expectations.

For me, TV is for the family. For me is the computer desktop screen.

5. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Credit Card info ?
    I think people ordering things with stolen credit cards and collecting them at temp locations is the reason.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Electoral Role?

That's what they can use publicly in the UK

Credit records etc

TV Licensing if you have that over your end

7. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    Thank you.
    My 50" fourth monitor is working marvelously. I use it for playing and streaming HD movies from the net.

8. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    I will never have another credit card, my choice... Not that everyone isn't offering, at outrageous rates.
    Paypal.

9. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    I will never pay for a TV signal.

10. MysTikAL3

MysTikAL3 MDL Senior Member

Jul 15, 2013

Paypal is OK, but without a CC it's instant debit, so why not accept a 'cash back' CC and you can save a few % on every purchase. You can still link the CC to Paypal and you get paid a couple % instead of giving it to Paypal in the transaction. Of course this only applies if you pay the balance in full each month. But this should not be a problem for you since you're paying your purchases instant debit already. No fees, no interest, only cash back...:)
    Another bonus with a CC is that if your purchase goes sideways -not received, fraud, not what you ordered, etc., your CC will quickly reverse the charges and credit your account over the phone instead of going thru the hassle (sometimes weeks) of a Paypal dispute.
    You should have in addition had the option to pick up your item from local FedEx location (usually within a few miles). Many of us working have the same problem of not being there to accept delivery, and pick it up instead.
    Enjoy your 4th monitor...:)

11. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    For me, I have found that paypal has a roughly 5 day turnaround refundwise.

In 1999 I was juggling a half dozen or so low interest credit cards,and had been for a couple of decades.
    One invoice got lost in the mail and the next thing I knew every one of those credit cards went to at least 24.9%.
    THAT is why I will never have another credit card... ever.