So I'm an idiot! But one that needs guiding..

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by -arttext, Nov 18, 2007.

1. -arttext

-arttext MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2007
    #1 -arttext, Nov 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Here's what i did.

1. I found out by reading a lot here that I could req. a modded bios.
    2. I did and received in one day (fast!! kudo's) my Abit_IN9_MAX_WIFI_M622A_13.bin_SLIC with the remark "slic=asus"
    3. I started reading here:
    http://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/378
    and here:
    http://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/283
    and downloaded and read:
    Practical_BIOS_Editing.pdf
    In the hope I would find some hands-on guiding about what to do with this Abit_IN9_MAX_WIFI_M622A_13.bin_SLIC and what the remark "slic=asus" meant. But somehow i did not find it, drives me nuts, because it must be simple. I see all those posts: "tested and it works, thx". So there must be somewhere here a step by step guide (I don't need the actual flashing part, done that a lot when upgrading biosses for the last ten years). I mean the slic file I downloaded is not your usual "bin" file, ready to flash. So apparently I must do something with both my m622a13\M622A_13.bin (my latest bios version) and this slic file and then I must take into account somehow that slic = asus.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. And if there's not a step-by-step guide for people like me, I'd be more then happy, after I've gone through my process to write one and post it here.

2. ezhik

ezhik MDL Junior Member

Oct 23, 2007
    If you don't know it's best to ask, better than mucking up a system BIOS if you get it wrong!

Anyway, all you need to do is rename the the modded BIOS to M622A_13.bin and flash in the normal way. In your case the actual BIOS name just got hidden inside a more descriptive fuller name.

Other than that you should find everything else you need to do already posted here.

3. -arttext

-arttext MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2007
    #3 -arttext, Nov 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    (OP)
    As promised step-by-step

As promised and with the suggestions and tips given on this forum by everyoone (with special thanks to Fzeven, ezhik, teknomedic, Yen and ancestor(v) I've put a step-by-step manual together for idiots like me with an award bios.

0. Write down your OEM key for the version (ultimate etc) of Vista. If you lost it, retrieve it with Magic Jelly Bean Key finder (Google for the latest version, as we speak that's 2.0 beta) and find and download your so called "certificate file". It's a file with the extension XRM-MS. So in case of an asus modded bios (slic) it's asus.xrm-ms and poot it in the root of C: (assuming that's your start up disk).
    1. Flash your bios with the latest official version (if you got as far as this forum you can flash)
    1. Ask for a modded bios in here: http://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/814 (if you modded your own bios you don't need my steps :) )
    2. rename the bios (if not already done so by the sender) into your latest version (see 1).
    3. flash your bios (preferebly a cold one from a msdos boot diskette)
    4. restart your pc and set some (probably changed to default) preferred settings in the bios setup screen, like you did when you first got your mobo.
    5.restart again and in Vista disable user account control (goto the control panel and find the "Windows Security Center", now find "User Account Control" and turn it off. There's also a program called "TweakUAC" (do a google search) that will make it super easy to adjust this setting.)
    6.Once all this is done, got Start (the blue window button) and then Run. Now type "cmd" in the run box. Once that's loaded copy/paste or type the following and then hit enter:
    6a. slmgr.vbs -ilc c:\asus.xrm-ms ((wait until a dialog box appears and then click "OK"))
    6b. Now type or copy/paste the following and then hit enter...
    slmgr.vbs -ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx... ((xxxx is your OEM serial key for the installed Vista version))
    7.Once again, wait until the dialog box appears, telling that registering the key was succesful.
    8. To be 100% sure, right click the computer icon on your desktop, click properties and check on the bottom of the pop-up screen if windows is activated.

notes:
    a. If you happen to have an already registered OEM system (NOT MOBO ONLY!)in this case an ASUS
    you can skip step 6a.
    b. All this assumes you've got administrator rights on your vista.
    c. You can skip step 6, 6a abd 6b by using the asus batch file here. Just place it in the same dir as the "certificate file" (xrm-ms file) and run it instead of step 6. ( In case of non asus and non ultimate Vista replace the CD key and the name of the "certificate file" in the batch file by the appropriate ones.) Then proceed to step 7.
    enjoy

arttext.

4. ezhik

ezhik MDL Junior Member

Oct 23, 2007
    #4 ezhik, Nov 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  5. -arttext

-arttext MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2007
    #5 -arttext, Nov 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
  6. sabrehawk

sabrehawk MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2007
    all those keys are blacklisted im stuck at the reduced functionality again...
    f**kin bios mods dont work anymore tried striker 1401 and i cant rearm,
    reactivate whatever:/(