So I'm Clear on this

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Tyrate, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Tyrate

Tyrate MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2009
    I just updated my Dell E521 bios with the Modded SLIC 2.1 one I found here on this board but I notice after I flash it that my Service Tag has changed. I was wondering can I change it back to the original one or is the service tag linked with the SLIC and changing it back would revert the system back to a SLIC 2.0? If one has nothing to do with the other I would like to change it back to the original one. I've tried using the asset209.com method (i.e. asset /s <new_service_tag ID>) and it says it changed but I when look in bios system setup menu it still shows the old one still. Then I'd tried the svctag.exe method and a get error message saying the utility isn't the compatible with bios. :eek:

If I'm missing something I would appreciate the help!

Thanks in advance for any advise!!

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    svctag.exe is the way to go, you just have to get one that DOES support your model

sebus

3. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    #3 alextheg, Dec 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    No the most recent would be on the Dell technician CD

sebus

5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Most dell machines come with drivers cd the service tag program is on that for your own model. can't remember off hand what foder it is in will have to search.

6. jcap511

jcap511 MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2013
    Sorry to necro an old thread, but I have 2 of these machines and happened to run into this exact issue. The modified bios available for this model will overwrite the service tag, svctag.exe doesn't support this model, and asset209.com doesn't write to the bios, so the tag will revert on reboot.

I did manage to fix it however and I felt like I should post the solution even if nobody cares anymore.

It turns out on the Dell E521 Resource CD has a second utility under CSD\TOOLS\BIOS named "AASSET.EXE" (yes, with 2 As), this one actually writes to the bios.
    Usage: AASSET /s <new service tag>.

I haven't seen or heard of "AASSET.EXE" before, I just happened to stumble upon it on the CD and tried it out on a whim. I'm not sure if it works with models other than the E521, but it might be a working alternative for other models that svctag doesn't support.

7. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    i know e530 uses fasset.exe foxcon asset tool for dell.