So I've used the horrible Windows 8 for a month....

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ian82, Mar 17, 2013.

1. xDownSetx

xDownSetx MDL Novice

May 13, 2010
    powercfg -h off actually works just fine. I've used it on multiple installs. Are you opening CMD as admin?

Are you seriously knocking off points for icon spacing?

Blame the dev team of Reclock.

Windows 7 had plenty of updates shortly after release too. Go back to 7 with a SP1 image and enjoy the 2GBs of updates.

I've observed context menu lag on many computers, regardless of OS. It mainly depends on how decent your hard drive is. With my SSD I never have to wait, where as using windows from my 750gb 7200 drive it varies and can be quite annoying. Laptops with terrible drives are by far the worst offenders.

2. naseap

naseap MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Running powercfg in an elevated prompt works, right clicking brings up my menu immediately. Not really sure why you have issues on your system with these.
    I just tried bitdefender and it slowed down my internet speeds, especially when opening a web page I would get a lag of a few seconds until I could scroll the web page. Once I removed bitdefender the lag went away.

3. ChristineBCW

ChristineBCW MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2013
    My question remains, "What IS Microsoft's philosophy with Win8?" Is it a START SCREEN or a DESKTOP? I know it tries to be both, but the integration sucks - and that HAD to be obvious to even the Project Manager - unless he truly was a Do-Nothing bureaucrat. Obviously, he was so single-focused that he never tried to run two instances of ANGRY BIRDS, I suppose.

Another philosophical point - all the standard Windows Customization entries in the Registry (and folder systems) remain - all the Screen Elements are listed, all of their colorings are still listed, and the Start Menu is still there.

Yet, why the refusal to all Users to easily access those? The Registry isn't more streamlined. The folder structure isn't more compact. Why the refusal to allow users to customize their productivity in a manner that they've done since Win95? Since the pieces are all still in-place, what's the philosophy of disallowing Users to have customizations? What good is THAT?

Is it a touch-screen system? If so, then why the much-needed plethora of keystroke combos, most of which would never be accessed on a touch-screen.

If it's a desktop system, why fatten up images to consume entire screens with a dozen or two without making users endlessly scroll back and forth? (And the administration of THIS in a corporate environment, where multiple folks may be accessing multiple computers - jeez).

What about that Default Sharing for USERS folders, too? How can Default SHARE for User Data and Settings ever be considered "more secure" than previous versions?

FJS, yes - that Philosophy. I've wondered what MS was aiming for. "We want everyone to get used to the Windows Phone." They might talk to Samsung, one of their WinPhone providers, who says, "It's not selling, we'll continue pushing Android" as of March 17, 2013.

4. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    That's not true, I did that on the weekend for a friends PC and it had 200 MB of updates.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Why you guy's didn't stopping jelling about the "so bad" Windows 8 if you're back on Windows 7 already? There isn't any more need for that! Except for sure you're missing that you could not complaining any more if you're back on Windows 7!

It's real boring to read those comments again and again and again......... again! Get over it I say! There people enough who like's Windows 8 as it is or as they had configure it for their personal use! NO! You're even starting to go against that happy user's because they may like like something which you're don't or even don't know how to use and handle it! Or just because you need show that you're on the right place and the other don't and you see it as your duty to bring those "misguided" user on the right way!

Maybe MDL Staff should build an forum for those User/Members who are unhappy with Windows 8 so they would have their own place and didn't bothers those who just like to work with that OS and try to find their ways for to use Windows 8 to the best of their knowledge and to it's full extend!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. ChristineBCW

ChristineBCW MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2013
    Yes, and nothing keeps the same old complaints high on Forums like the same old complaints-about-complaints. This does keep these threads at the top.

7. buksnatata

buksnatata MDL Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm enjoying in windows 8, i don't have single issue running it since august 2012, and i have install more than 20 copies to my friends, and no one from them has any issue, before you install please run windows upgrade assistant to see if your hardware is 100% compatible.

8. fkar

fkar MDL Recognized Advisor

Nov 3, 2012
    In my laptop, I'm running ProWMC_x64. I'm always facing issue with Ethernet controller. Sometimes it appears and sometimes it won't.

Don't know what is the issue. :(

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    It's may just a question of proper configure! But, if you use 64bit and the driver is 32bit, that could be a problem. Check that out!

10. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    #30 msr, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
    People are still using windows xp, so i am sure plenty will still be using win7 in those years.

Like for instance, maybe windows 9 should have a tablet mode and a desktop mode, so people can choose and the os does this naturally. I doubt ms would do that as they seem to have moved to tablet to compete with others os, but how about putting in a desktop mode. I doubt they will, but like op said, it would help for those whom prefer normal windows desktop environment.

I have not tried win8, as i use android for what win8 does.

11. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    I can definitely see alot of people still using Windows 7 six or more years down the road. Yes it is very stable and also it is vulnerable to Windows Loader and other SLIC based mods so it will always be able to pirated.

12. Mr Theme

Mr Theme MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2012
    no no no man, it's kind of fun reading that, even u use 7 or 8:roflmao::roflmao:
    But 8 is funnier and useless, lego game is better:D:biggrin:

that's the point, Android is fully customizable, more user friendly on tablets, and fully cra***ble for apps,
    Windows 8 is only for showboat, as per Apple, closed systems just for chitchatting and showing off.....

just tell one thing that 8 do more than Android on tablets..

i'll tell you 20 that do less, for paying just twice more???:idea::idea:

13. OldMX

OldMX MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    ian82 / berryracer or whatever character your multiple personality disorder tells you to be, Windows 8 is NOT Windows 7, get over it, instead of making nonsense threads in every forum you're suscribed, about fixing the world with your registry tweaks, why dont you simply go back to Win7 or whatever windows you prefer, or start accepting Windows 8 as it is, it is retarded to try to change every OS release to look or work as the previous one, and thats exactly what you're trying to do.

14. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    came across a machine with W7 on it. A friend called me to get some help. I found my self hitt'n the windows button 3 times waiting for the Start screen but there was none. I laughed because I found myself in a kind of middle ages as using 8 since its first iteration.
    I recommended to upgrade to 8 and he did ( I did it for him) and now the machine starts much faster and shuts down within few seconds. Performance increased in any way and my friend is most happy.
    In addition to it, he bought some RAM and now the box has wings.

15. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Totally agree that android is perfect for tablet computer use, windows is a home computer os. Tablet computing needs just a basic user interface and some apps, and it works on tablets well.

I was agreeing with you, that android does tablets better than windows.

16. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    Android is the perfect os to be discussed in a W8 thread

:offtopic:

17. eydee

eydee Guest

Surely W8 is the best if you compare it to only W8...

18. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    lol ... I don't do such things. Others try to implement totally different views into W8 thread. This I consider OFF TOPIC

19. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    I remember when - "Windows for Workgroups 3.1" "Windows 95" "Windows Millennium" "Windows Vista" were the worst OS in history. One can only guess at how long the list will be 100 years from now.

20. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    :wheelchair: Windows 80 still with stone aged desktop and a Start button which disappeared at least 20 times and always came back