So I've used the horrible Windows 8 for a month....

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ian82, Mar 17, 2013.

1. aurise

aurise MDL Novice

Jun 3, 2007
    Windows 8 ain't that bad for one it has better start menu and doesn't have software compatibility issues.

2. nehoma

nehoma MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2013
    Microsoft probable will release anther os jsut like win7 come to save them from vista the th2 worst os in history

3. parapher

parapher MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2012
    I thought the same, at first, but since I learned about their new OS update cycle, and seeing how 'Windows Blue' is not going a different route than Win8 proper, I would say that such hopes may turn out to be in vain.

4. Aquarius357

Aquarius357 MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2009
    1. Control Panel -> Power options -> Choose what the buttons do -> Enable changing of currently unavailable settings -> enable hibernation.
    That aside, Hybrid sleep is enabled by default, so the computer will go to sleep, then enter hibernate after a while of sleep without fully powering on by default.

2. Security. UAC fully disabled in Control Panel options allows you to run anything that requests admin priviledges without prompts. There's the prompt when writing to C:\ becuase things no longer run as admin unless explicitly requested in Windows 8, unlike in Windows 7. There should be another option to disable that too IMO, but the logic is perfectly sane.

3. Really? This is minor cosmetics at best, and there a re programs that do this faster and much more easily. Still a fair complaint, even though I don't view it as such.

4. I see no reason to not use the Start Screen. It's just as fast if you use the keyboard to search for things (as you should be doing since Vista) and faster for pinned programs. All the while increasing the number of pinned items and adding live tiles. I like the weather and calendar tiles myself.

5. MPC-HC with EVR Sync enabled is all you need with your laptop. As for volume, complain to Asus for putting in s**tty speakers and Reclock for not maintaining their software.

6. RTM was 3months before availability. I've been running Windows 8 RTM since November 2012, and updates have come out since then. #dealwithit

7. Something wrong on your system. It's instantaneous on my machines. Likely software.. Software can interact in the most interesting (by that I mean painful) ways. For example, Asus' fancontrol software would conflict with AIDA64 and cause bluescreens at least once a day. Took me ages to find the cause, but once the Asus' fan control was removed, its been stable as a rock.. until I messed up system32 that is...

My machines:

Desktop:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GiB
    Core i5-3570K at 4.4Ghz
    Asus Sabertooth Z77
    32GiB DDR3-1600 CL10 Corsair Vengeance RAM
    Creative Sound Blaster TitaniumHD
    2x 1TB Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 in RAID0
    2x Dell U2410 + 1x Dell 2408WFP

Laptop 1, Dell Latitude E6500:
    2.80GHz Core 2 Duo T9600 (Penryn, 6MiB Cache, 1066MHz FSB)
    4GB DDR2-800 Samsung RAM
    Nvidia Quadro NVS 160M 256MiB
    Samsung MP4 640GB 7200rpm (HM640JJ)
    15.4" 1920x1200 UltraSharp Anti-glare WideView LCD

Laptop 2, Dell Latitude E6400:
    2.80GHz Core 2 Duo T9600 (Penryn, 6MiB Cache, 1066MHz FSB)
    4GB DDR2-800 Hynix RAM
    Nvidia Quadro NVS 160M 256MiB
    WD Black 160GB 7200rpm
    14.1" 1280x800 LCD

Laptop 3, HP TouchSmart tm2:
    1.30GHz Core 2 Duo SU7300 (Penryn, 3MiB Cache, 800MHz FSB), yes, you read right, 1.30GHz.
    4GB DDR3-800 Sasung RAM
    ATi Mobility Radeon HD 4550 512MiB + Intel GMA4500MHD
    WD Blue 320GB 5400rpm
    12.5" 1280x800 LCD with integrated Wacom digitizer/touchscreen

5. Mr 0x00

Mr 0x00 MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2012
    My main beef with Windows 8 is the lack of choice. Microsoft took an Apple-like approach to leading users.

I want THE OPTION of:
    - Aero Glass
    - Start Menu
    - PPPoE redial options
    - running Metro programs in a window

Integrate that, along will all the Stardock enchantments, and I'll switch to Windows 9.

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Which means you'll properly never switch!!:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Mr 0x00

Mr 0x00 MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2012
    It's not me that Microsoft it worried about. Their main revenue stream comes from MS EA. The big customers are not going to take lightly that Microsoft is removing the OPTION to configure the OS however the admins like.

I talked about Microsoft taking Apple-like approach to leading users. Why do you think Apple has like 0% corporate desktop market share?

Can Microsoft afford this?

8. parapher

parapher MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2012
    Main dislikes for Win8 for me:
    - Metro/Store apps suck, are too big and clunky, I don't need them
    - interface still bothers me to an extent (flat borders, etc.)
    - still quirky performance in some areas, whereas Win7 performance is well-oiled
    - security/permission issues annoying, more locked down than Win7 (can also be good if you don't know what you're doing)
    - not easy to activate over different PC's (prefer loaders even while having licenses)

I like the Start Screen, I wouldn't mind having that on Win7 at all. In fact, it is what I will miss when going back to Win7. I think some of the Explorer enhancements are nice, too. Performance-wise I don't find Win8 'faster' than Win7. They really need to separate the Store apps thing from the OS more. It just needs to be run in a window and if you don't choose it it should be a desktop OS only.

9. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #129 Shenj, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    I went back to windows 7, I kept getting a kernel security check bsod every few hours on 8, back on seven, all is well again.

11. Aquarius357

Aquarius357 MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2009
    I have a headphone amp for headphones, proper speakers for desktop, and my Dell E6400/E6500 have suprisingly decent speakers, so I don't do any of that audio-boosting nonsense. I can however vouch for EVR Sync.

12. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
    #132 bk109, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
    A point by point rebuttal of your 'reasons' for ditching 8.
    -So,if you don't want/need the metro apps - uninstall them and free your drive. Noone's pointing a gun at your head and forcing you to only use them.
    - I have to agree with you on the visual theme they've used for the desktop,but that's hardly a reason to downgrade to a different OS. Funny how the major annoyance everyone else has with the new interface,namely the StartScreen, is the one feature of it you actually highlight as an improvement...
    - Quirky performance? Funny,but the only 'quirky performance' I've seen over a large install base (ranging from a 7 year-old laptop to a ultra-high-performance gaming rig) is distinct improvement in performance,most noticeable on the lower-spec machines
    - More locked down? That's a bloody improvement that helped to cut down my family IT hours. And let's face it - if someone finds the current system setup an insurmountable obstacle (or even a hindrance for that matter),then that someone shouldn't be poking his head under the hood at all.
    - Easy as hell to activate with or without valid licenses, the only change is as pointed out by Shenj the one machine per license rule (though that has its workarounds if you need to transfer to a different machine)

Can you provide a link for your headphone amp,because I'm looking for a piece of kit like that for a friend of mine :)

13. Haaklong

Haaklong MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2013
    But Windows 8 is awesome, the power-button is in the charms bar, and for the first 4 months I used to sign off my account first and THEN turn my P.C. off, otherwise loading and running commands has been easy.