[Solution]: How to allow MSI Installer in Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by moderate, Sep 19, 2013.

1. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    #1 moderate, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Hello guys,

with Nero 2014 I was forced to install it in safe mode (I got strange error "1158" otherwise). However when the installation reached MSI files, it was unable to continue.

This REG file below enables MSI installer in Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Networking.
    Reboot is required after REG is imported:

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\msiserver]
    @="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\msiserver]
    @="Service"

2. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    which OS are you talking about ?

3. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    All of them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Stripakulina

Stripakulina MDL Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. sonic9

sonic9 MDL Member

Aug 4, 2009
    even with .reg import, reboot isn't required.
    the exe above is just a reg-exe'd

6. eydee

eydee Guest

So this is messing up the default system config to be able to install an incompatible 3rd party application. Nice.

7. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    What?

All this does is enable the MSI Service in SafeMode so that you can uninstall/install a MSI Installer in SafeMode, by default you can't.

8. eydee

eydee Guest

That's the point. If the msi service was meant to be running in safe mode, it would be running without changes to the system. The point of safe mode is providing a minimal environment. It would be wiser to find the root cause of the issue with Nero, maybe contacting their support department, maybe using an older version or an alternative program.

And if I really wanted to start messing around, I'd try changing the msi files themselves using Orca, not changing the system itself.

9. Kynyo

Kynyo MDL Novice

May 13, 2010
    I enabled a series of good tweaks includings MSI in Safe Mode by using D7 Tool
    Search on google D7 Tool.

10. SuperBubble

SuperBubble MDL Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #10 SuperBubble, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Code:
    C:\>net helpmsg 1158

The current process has used all of its system allowance of handles for Window Manager objects.
    I'll put $5 on the theming engine, $10 on a crappy skinning app, and $50 on not closing down as many programs as you can before installing a program that's as horribly invasive as Nero. :p

11. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    If you can't access the MSI service in safe-mode, you cannot uninstall a non-working MSI-installer application. What is the point of safe-mode if you cannot uninstall a bad app.

12. SuperBubble

SuperBubble MDL Member

Nov 18, 2011
    We'll leave aside the fact that this is exactly the opposite of what the OP was talking about.

99.9% of 'bad apps' that stop you from uninstalling them in normal mode Windows are due to crummy drivers, buggy services, or invasive startup programs: safe mode gives you all the tools you need to disable/remove them.

And if it's a case of a broken/buggy uninstaller - I've seen plenty of those - then force-running the MSI service safe mode isn't going to help you at all.

When all else fails, the DEL command is your friend. :D

13. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    Exactly. :)

14. eydee

eydee Guest

Nope. The point of safe mode is dealing with faulty drivers, faulty startup items, faulty 3rd party services etc. To be able to boot the computer when normal mode fails. It's not for removing MS Office.

Remember? Safe mode was present in windows 95, when the whole msi installer hadn't even existed.

15. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    But that is point of safe mode according you only. :)

@Admins and Moderators:
    I think, that "thread creator" user should have the right to kick stupid comments out of his thread. What do you think?

16. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Honestly, I think not. Moderation belongs to the staff ;)