Hey everyone, I didn't know where to post this, so I hope its ok here. Anyways; I have a Brother MFC-8860DN printer hooked up to my network and I'm trying to setup the "Scan to Email" feature on it however I can't seem to get it working correctly. I'm using my ISP's SMTP server. I have tried authenticated and unauthenticated access however neither work. The settings are as follows: SMTP Server: mail.bigpond.com Port: 25 Strange thing is I have a UPS with email alerts setup using the same settings above, no authentication required, and it works. When I tried to scan a document to email, it attempts to send, then returns "Sending error" on the LCD and then prints out a transmission report. Update: Decided to try a firmware upgrade to see if that would solve the problem. Upgraded to Q firmware, yet problem still persists Update 2: An update for those who care; I was able to purchase another printer of the exact same model. Turns out this one is working fine with the exact same settings. So my best guess is that there is something faulty internally.