(SOLVED) Can't rename/move folders via explorer

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by juzz, Aug 9, 2015.

1. juzz

juzz MDL Member

Jun 28, 2008
    #1 juzz, Aug 9, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
    So. Suddenly today something broke. I did not do any additional tweaks.

I can still move/rename folders via CMD prompt. Renaming/reading/editing files from explorer still works just fine.

But if i try to rename or move FOLDER I get error message:
    "Can't find specified file. The file or folder does not exist"

I have tried taking ownership of folders and giving permissions. But nothing seems to work.

So anyone have any idea what could be causing this and how to fix this?

EDIT: I did all my registry tweaks again, including removing libs/onedrive/etc. And it's working properly again. I must have made copy & paste error somewhere. No idea what part actually fixed it or what can break explorer like that, but I'm happy it's working again.

2. freiwald

freiwald MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2015
    had the same on pro before going to enterprise ltsb edition think it was because of one of those two "reg tweaks" which i did.
    for both i had to change permissions so i don't know which one was the faulty one... probably both. but you say you haven't done something so that is weird.
    1. remove quick access from left pane in explorer + remove pin to quick access from context
    2. remove user folders from left pane in explorer

3. juzz

juzz MDL Member

Jun 28, 2008
    #3 juzz, Aug 9, 2015
    (OP)
    I have done plenty of reg tweaks, but not today. Although now that I think of it I'm not sure if I have tried moving/renaming folders past few days.

Deleting folders seems to still work just fine. Very weird issue as it is limited only to renaming or moving FOLDERS.

I'll keep checking if I find whats causing it. In theory could be something with disabling search/indexing/cortana too

4. freiwald

Jul 27, 2015
    #4 freiwald, Aug 9, 2015
    it's not cortanas/search index fault. more people would get that problem if that was the case. also i'm running with both disabled since day 1 and it never gave me a problem. it has something to do with some permission settings which u did. in the registry or on your windows hdd. seems like on permission the system needs is gone.
    had the excact same problem, tried to give the permissions back but it didn't help. you can only format and stop taking permissions.
    let me guess you get a red symbol when trying to move folders from right windows to left pane? permissions changed and you can't change them back!

5. juzz

juzz MDL Member

Jun 28, 2008
    It's not only windows HDD. It's affecting all HDDs.

And permissions aren't completely broken, as i don't need admin cmd-prompt to rename folders. Actually permissions are listed correctly after I fixed them.

It's just explorer not finding folders that it is listing for some reason, so it's probably because i have removed some libs/quick access/onedrive related stuff thats maybe causing some issues in background

6. freiwald

Jul 27, 2015
    they are listed correctly after you fixed them but they are not! im sorry but you only waste your time with this. you will have to reformat. you can even reformat and try it again... you will see its the fault of taking permissions from windows or the reigstry. and yes its not only affecting the windows drive... it's everything explorer related. but you did some permission changes on c:\ or in the reigstry and even if you change them back it will not work.

like i said up there its either you removed quick access or those user folders (music videos etc) from the left pane. for both you have to take permissions which you can set back but it will not make any difference. it will not work again!!

7. juzz

juzz MDL Member

Jun 28, 2008
    well go figure. I did all my tweaks again, including removing all libs etc. And it's working again. Must have made copy & paste error somewhere earlier, that has left some bad registry entries or something.

Can't really tell what fixed it, but at least it's working again.