[Solved] "Could not reconnect all network drives" message at startup.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Heero14, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Heero14

Heero14 MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2011
    #1 Heero14, Sep 3, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
    Hi, I have Windows 7 and I just installed an Epson wireless printer on my laptop. Everything works fine. However, something new showed up in My Computer. There's a network drive called MEMORYCARD (\\EPSON16E280) (Z:) and it's being shown under Network Location. The problem with that is if my printer is turned off when my laptop is booting, I will get a notification bubble when I reach the desktop saying: "Could not reconnect all network drives" and if I go in My Computer, the network drive shown under Network Location has an "x" on it (meaning it's not connected).

I googled around and I think it's the Network Location Awareness service that is giving me this message. I'd like to know if there's a setting somewhere that I can change so that I don't get the annoying message on startup anymore. The reason why I'm asking this is because I like to keep my printer turned off when I'm not using it. I don't like having my printer turned on permanently.

I did find one solution by accident. All I have to do to stop getting the annoying message is to right-click on the network drive and click on Always available offline. However, I don't know what that does and if there's a better solution, I'd like to know it.

Thanks for reading.

Edit: I found a better solution. That notification bubble is a message from Windows Explorer. All you need to do is go into the Notification Area, find the Windows Explorer icon that matches the one from the message and choose to Hide icon and notifications. I don't think doing this can cause a problem in the future because if Windows Explorer needs to warn you about something else, a different Windows Explorer icon will appear in the Notification Area and you can give different properties for that one. Plugging a USB flash drive is an example of that.