[Solved] Errors on my Intenso Portable hard drive

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by SkullKid2000, Jun 4, 2016.

1. SkullKid2000

SkullKid2000 MDL Member

Jul 17, 2012
    #1 SkullKid2000, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    So, I've got this during the day, and it's evening to night here now (dusk) and I have set my Windows 7 Home Premium old 2010 desktop machine to check my external Intenso Portable 500 GB USB 3.0 drive for errors, and of course it found errors, too.

So here's the thing: Naturally I selected "Check and repair errors found automatically" only to find out that it would take more than an hour or two. I got the 500 GB space on my hard drive half-full up to 250 GB used. I ran the CHKDSK command in the Command Prompt, and it get's stuck at step 2 of 3, at 70%. I used both the /F and /R commands, only to find it get stuck at 70%.

Finally, my question to anybody able-to-help person here, at My Digital Life forums, to help me solve this little "problem" of mine. What should I do?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Myself I like to err on the side of caution. If the drive has errors that can't be fixed, then it's time to get any savable data off of the drive.
    After you do that, you can then format the storage drive and see if the problem goes away.

If there are any hard bad sectors, then I'd think about picking up a replacement hard drive for that storage box, as the drive is starting to fail.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SkullKid2000

SkullKid2000 MDL Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Thanks Michaela. I appreciate that you gave the suggestion to format the drive, as that solved my problem. Now I'm gonna keep everything on that drive on my internal one as well. Just in case... :)

4. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Excellent idea to have a separate "data drive" to mirror important data. Now "go the extra mile" and create a System Image on it.

5. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    format ? try complete partition table wipe.. MFT sometimes is whats corrupt.