[SOLVED] Having trouble getting WSUS installed again on Server 2008 Standard

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by ikith, Sep 7, 2015.

1. ikith

ikith MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2012
    #1 ikith, Sep 7, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    I posted this on technet but have gotten no responses here is my post:

I'm having a huge issue, WSUS will not install on our Server 2008 Standard install, we had to knock out all of the roles associated with Windows Process Activation since some features we needed to install in ISS were not able to install, the solution I found for that was to blow away WPA and everything associated with it and go from there, however now that I am trying to install WSUS again it keeps giving me errors, no matter what I try. Here are my logs:
    WSUSCa_150904_1712.log:
    SNIP
    WSUSSetup.log:
    SNIP
    WSUSSetupmsi_150904_1714.log:
    SNIP
    (I used pastebin because the last file was so large, so I just opted to use pastbin all around, if this is an issue let me know and I will attempt to post the logs directly here apart from the last one which causes my browser to complete freeze)
    I have no clue where to start, I've tried a bunch of solutions, from knocking out the install files all the way to deleting all of the roles and starting fresh (including internal database) and searching for and deleting the internal database and wsus directories found via search. Can anyone give me a hand with this? I've been working on it for 3-4 days now trying different variations of the process with no avail.
    Thank you.

2. ikith

ikith MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2012
    Ended up solving this, apparently the database WSUS creates doesn't like being installed on an external drive, had to install the database to C:\ and the data store to my external.