[SOLVED] How do I Remove Mail App Icon from Taskbar

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by dhjohns, Oct 23, 2017.

1. blackmaeby

blackmaeby MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2011
    #21 blackmaeby, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    EDIT: If you set this to 2 (not the default 1) then it works.

Set this in C:\Users\Default\NTUser.dat to apply it for future users.

So

reg load HKU\Temp C:\Users\Default\ntuser.dat
    reg add HKU\Temp\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband\AuxilliaryPins /v MailPin /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f
    reg unload HKU\Temp C:\Users\Default\ntuser.dat

2. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Didn't work for me. Even deleting MailPin it stays on. I suppose manually unpinning is the only way. Thank never the less.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Bm.Lava

Bm.Lava MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2013
    disappointed :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    #24 GodHand, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    The AppID for Mail, and its icon (microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_8wekyb3d8bbwe!Microsoft.WindowsLive.Mail), are not controlled by Group Policy; rather, they're controlled by the StartLayout.xml. Because of this, removal of the Mai/Envelope icon from the taskbar is done by using the <CustomTaskbarLayoutCollection PinListPlacement="Replace"> XML code in a custom Taskbar layout XML file. The custom Taskbar XML code can then be added to a LayoutModification.xml and moved to the .\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\ directory of a mounted install.wim.

If you use PowerShell, you do not need a separate XML file with the command/script to copy over. Just assign the full content of the XML to a variable and then you can add that variable's content directly to the image using Add-Content or Out-File.

5. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    #25 GodHand, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  6. blackmaeby

blackmaeby MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2011
    The mailpin=2 registry only works for new users and must be set in C:\Users\Default\ntuser.dat.

7. blackmaeby

blackmaeby MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2011
    Yes, LayoutModification.xml is the best way to set this for future users.

>>Taskbar because the default Export-StartLayout command does not include the necessary string

Also the parser for the XML is very finicky with spaces, especially when people are copying pasting from blogs.

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/start-layout-xml-desktop
    "
    To make sure the Start layout XML parser processes your file correctly, follow these guidelines when working with your LayoutModification.xml file:
    • Do not leave spaces or white lines in between each element.
    • Do not add comments inside the StartLayout node or any of its children elements.
    • Do not add multiple rows of comments.
    "

8. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
  9. Bm.Lava

Bm.Lava MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2013
    Hi, I didn't understand the process, could you please tell me how to do it from the MSMG please ie. what should i change in the registry? It would be of great help.

Thanks.

10. Bm.Lava

Bm.Lava MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2013
  11. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    In MSMG, mount registry, and run this:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TK_HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband\AuxilliaryPins]
    "MailPin"=dword:00000002
    Then unmount.

12. Bm.Lava

Bm.Lava MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2013
    Thanks a lot. I totally missed his footer :p

Thanks much mate :)

13. Bm.Lava

Bm.Lava MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2013
    Hi, one thing i wanna know if you guys know any workaround with the "Recently added apps" removal from the start menu? there is no registry to do it, is it possible via custom startmenu xml?