[Solved]HP Officejet 4500 - Connection Issue

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by TONPumper, Mar 19, 2012.

1. TONPumper

TONPumper MDL Member

Jan 2, 2011
    #1 TONPumper, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
    My friend just got this printer and asked me to connect his computers to the printer wirelessly. I was able to connect it to the desktop and set it up on the network. I printed a test page from the desktop and everything worked fine. But when I tried to print from his laptop, it wouldn't connect to the printer. I did a basic install of the printer software on the laptop, which only installs the necessary components. When it got to the part about finding the printer, it was able to see it on the network, so I assumed that it connected properly. It didn't say that it had any issues. Do I need to install the full version of the software for it to properly connect; or do I need to connect the printer directly to the laptop via USB, like I did for the desktop? Should I install the driver for the printer on the laptop? It was my understanding that once the printer is on the network, any computer that connects to that network should be able to print to the printer on the network.

2. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    Hi, you will need to install the basic software/drivers on his laptop also for it to work. And did you follow the wireless setup for the printer also?

3. TONPumper

TONPumper MDL Member

Jan 2, 2011
    #3 TONPumper, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
    (OP)
    I installed the software, but not the drivers. I thought the laptop would automatically install the drivers when it connected to the printer. The printer is on the network, so I think I setup the wireless correctly.

EDIT: I fixed it. The problem was that the power went out during the configuration. The fix was to run the HP program on the computer that configures the network. When I ran it, the program told me that there were not any printers on the network, so I canceled the configuration, printed a test page, and everything worked.