(Solved) John S drivers worked..A buddy is trying to install LTSC

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by foo3495, Nov 12, 2019.

1. foo3495

foo3495 MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2015
    #1 foo3495, Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  2. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    It has Windows 10 Pro x64 already on it, so...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. galvodog10

galvodog10 MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2016
    I am that buddy and foo has guided me through some misadventures..I've always thought of myself as pretty geeky but this one proves that I am most certainly not..this laptop was slooooooow with Win 10 Education installed so a user suggested Linux..I installed Ubuntu and it runs amazingly well and I regret not knowing more about it as I want to use this for work in the field and programs like TeraTerm are not supported..I'm sure there are alternatives that do the same but the learning curve is too trying at this stage..I tried putting multiple versions of Win10 back on but it's, as John above (dig that Mr. Natural Avatar,old fan) says, lacking a driver that can see the 64gb emmc at final setup phase...not sure how to institute an .exe file @ the point it says "load drivers" but I will play with it and thanks, think I am on the right road now!

5. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    LTSC is apt to be as slow as Edu. This was my experience with similar devices. The problem lies with the eMMC device which has very few lanes of data transfer.

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Last year i've installed 2016 LTSB x86 (before LTSC was released) on a Lenovo device with just 2GB RAM and a 32GB eMMC, that ran fine.

My wife has an Asus T100TA (2GB ram, 32GB eMMC) and she runs 1903 x86 Home, also no complaints (she only plays the hated store games;):D)

7. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    I do believe they will run fine. I only noticed no noticeable speed increase between LTSC, Pro vanilla, or Pro stripped.

8. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Stripping mostly doesn't improve speed, disabling some services might, but my benchmarks from last year didn't show much difference between all the SKUs, the chopped ones i've tested were discarded because of major basic problems.

9. galvodog10

galvodog10 MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2016
    Thank you gents.....worked a charm..they have even edited the Wiki @ Slickdeals to include a link for the drivers as I obviously wasn't the only one who had problems trying to "upgrade"...while it is no speed demon it def runs cleaner than the original OS...I intend it only as a laptop for field work and it will serve that purpose just fine, it is well worth the price paid regardless of the whiner in deal forum who must have expected a threadripper for the money!...Much appreciated!