[SOLVED] Learning about Junction Points the hard way...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by CAKCy, Jun 15, 2014.

1. CAKCy

CAKCy MDL Junior Member

Jun 9, 2014
    #1 CAKCy, Jun 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
    While browsing my User folder (where hidden/system files are visible) I noticed a number of shortcut-like folders e.g. Application Data, Cookies, Local Settings, My Documents, etc.

Clicking on any of those gave me a dialog:
    Title: "Location is not available"
    Icon: Critical
    I clicked some of the others and the result was the same...:confused:

I noticed that the creation time/date of all was the same (about 4 years ago). I checked their properties and I didn't find anything out of the ordinary. That caused me to think that they were corrupted links that were created 4 years ago when I was messing around with the User Accounts of my new (then) computer on a new (then) operating system. So I thought I... should delete them! :eek:

I deleted one of them ("My Documents") and then I thought... why don't I Google the problem and see if someone else had the same experience. What I've found terrified me! :fear2:

For the uninformed (like me): Junction Points: They are hard links to folders for backward compatibility on (NTFS) Win7 to older OSs. They are not accessible in Windows Explorer and do not permit listing of files/folders of the target folders. (Hence the denial of access).

So... Now what? o_O My first reaction was... well it should be in the Recycle Bin... And luckily it was! And luckily it restored! And luckily... Nope... Luck stopped there!:(

Long story... short: Even though the Junction Point named "My Documents" has restored to its original location there is something "wrong" with it:

While before (similar to all the other junction points) when I clicked on it, it would say "Location is not available" (and Access is denied) now I get a new message saying:
    Title: "My Documents"
    Message: "You don't currently have permission to access the folder. Click Continue to permanently get access to this folder"
    Buttons: "Continue" and "Cancel"
    Icon: Exclamation

When I click "Continue" I get a new dialog:
    Title: "My Documents"
    Message: "You have been denied permission to access this folder. To gain access to this folder you will need to use the security tab"
    Button: "Close"
    Icon: Exclamation
    I checked the security permissions of the "folder" (both basic and advanced) and compared them with those of the other junction points. They are the same. I compared the ACLs of this junction point to the others. They are the same. I tried finding a way to restore the original junction point and there doesn't seem to be a way other than creating a new user account.

Big question:hmm:: Is there a way to make this junction point (the restored one) react the same way as it used to do (or as the others do?) i.e. to respond with a "Location is not available" dialog?

(I promise no poems to anyone. Last time I did it took me forever to come up with one!!!):p

2. CAKCy

CAKCy MDL Junior Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Junction Points - Learning continues

I don't really approve everything Microsoft does but to be honest I'm not a Microsoft-phobic either. I think that they have offered some decent stuff. That does not mean I condone their monopoly tactics but hey... everybody is in for the money!

Thank you very much for the links you have unearthed for me.:tankyou:

I went through them and they added to the crash course on Junction Points I had yesterday. I'm afraid I haven't found an answer to the question that bothers me:

Why the rest of the junction points (created by the system) show a "Location is not available" dialog while the one I messed up with does not? (And though I know that a restore would solve my problem, restore is not what I want to do. It's the knowledge that interests me more and the challenge to find how it is done. :tooth:)

A more generic question would be:

How can one create a junction point (for that I know the answer) AND set it up in such a way that when one clicks on it the system responds with a "Location is not available" dialog.

3. CAKCy

CAKCy MDL Junior Member

Jun 9, 2014