[Solved] Lenovo IdeaPad New Motherboard

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by AberDino, Jan 24, 2021.

1. AberDino

AberDino MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2012
    A few weeks ago, a friend of mine dropped off his Lenovo IdeaPad 310-15ISK because the power button was no longer operational. Indeed, after some troubleshooting and opening up the laptop, it turned out the physical power button had 'disintegrated'. I could still power up the laptop using a bit of aluminium foil to bridge the contacts, so that at least confirmed the rest of the laptop was working fine. As the button is located on the motherboard itself, I started looking for a replacement motherboard on eBay, and eventually I found one new in box for a reasonable price, so I bought it.

I fitted the new motherboard yesterday, and all seems to be working well. Windows 10 Home is still activated with a digital license linked to the Microsoft account on the laptop. However, when I go into the BIOS, I noticed certain fields aren't populated and shown as "INVALID", namely "Product Name", "MTM" and "Lenovo SN". Furthermore, the "Preinstalled OS license" field states "NO DPK", the "OA3 Key ID" field consists of many zeros and the OA2 field is "Y". Following some research, I found out that these fields are normally populated by the official Lenovo service centres when they replace motherboards. No such option for me because it wouldn't be worth doing that.

First of all, am I correct in assuming that there are no negative side effects if my friend continues to use the laptop as is, i.e. the fact that these fields are not populated is more cosmetic than anything else, and it will not impact the Windows 10 activation status? Windows 10 Home could also be reinstalled in the future without any issues?

This made me think, with the Insyde H2OFFT tool I found on this forum, could I take a full backup of the previous motherboard's BIOS and restore this full backup to the new motherboard, so that all these fields are populated again as before, including the digital product key etc.? If not, could I at least populate the "Product Name", "MTM" and "Lenovo SN" fields using the details which are included on the sticker on the laptop, as these details are passed through to the Lenovo software on the laptop?

Any feedback greatly appreciated, thank you.

2. AberDino

AberDino MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2012
    Just to post the answer to my own questions above, I found the "Lenovo Variable Tool" (LVAR) elsewhere on this forum, and I used this tool to export the needed variables from the old motherboard, and imported those on the new motherboard. All good :).

3. Siki78

Siki78 MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2012
    Can some one help me to write MTM please