[Solved] Lenovo Legion Y740-15IRH BIOS Recovery

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Tyroq, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Daryll James

Daryll James MDL Novice

May 9, 2021
    Hi,

I have the same problem but with my Lenovo Legion Y540. I can only see solutions for Y740. Can you help me?

My laptop is experiencing black screen when I am opening it. Power button and keyboards has lights but screen is purely black. It happened after the bios update/downgrade. What would be the possible solution on this?

I’m planning to buy CH341a 24-25 series. Is that compatible to my laptop?

Thank you!

2. cptncankles

cptncankles MDL Novice

May 14, 2021
    Hello, new here but not sure exactly what to download for my Windows install.

You said " Grab programmer CH341a drivers and AsProgrammer from the first." What does this mean? There are several windows drivers and I don't know which one is "AsProgrammer" as I don't see it in the list on the github link but I do see "AVRProgrammer" Is that it? The windows drivers I see are Windows-Printer driver, Windows-SPI-I2C-Driver+SDK, and Windows-Serial-Driver+sdk. Which one do I need? Do I need all 3?

Also, mine is the y740 17inch IRHg, so not sure if the bios links are the same or not.

3. firefly_can_fly

firefly_can_fly MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2018
    Could you please provide a write up of how you replaced the padding area with the dmi info, I'm very new to this and have the same Laptop/Problem.
    also, Fxxk Lenovo

4. dlhxr

dlhxr MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2012
    After making sure where the DMI is, I replaced with HxD Hex Editor.

5. dlhxr

dlhxr MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2012
    I have a Y540 and the operations are almost the same as Y740. CH341a works.

6. kenlah

kenlah MDL Novice

May 29, 2021
    #46 kenlah, May 29, 2021
    Last edited: May 30, 2021
    Hello. please allow me to join the Y540 brick club. Hahaha.

My laptop is Y7000 2019 1050, is it the same with Y540?
    Is the Y540 bios labelled?:

AH1927
    25B127DSI6
    U96302

7. dlhxr

dlhxr MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2012
    Yes, I have the same chip model. The only difference is last 3 digits of U96302. Go ahead and unbrick your laptop

8. Treb1612

Treb1612 MDL Novice

Jul 7, 2021
    Can anyone give me a bin file for y740 17inch,
    I flash my bios successfully but still nothing, not even keyboard light, only the led lights of the icon at the back showed for a few seconds. I do not know what else to do. The IC is 25Q128JVSQ, downloaded the latest bios from Lenovo and did everything to extract the bin file, and successfully flash using neoprogrammer. Any more ideas?

9. Hugh1987

Hugh1987 MDL Novice

Jul 25, 2021
    Question please, I'm trying to locate the bios chip on my Lenovo legion y540 15irh, before getting co fused and doing a deadly mistake.
    Any help will be much appreciated.

10. ecurbbb

ecurbbb MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2021
  11. Hugh1987

Hugh1987 MDL Novice

Jul 25, 2021

Isn't this CH341a programmer is faulty manufactured? I've seen a video in YT says it produces 5.5 volts output instead of 3.3 vaults which is bad for the chips it mostly burn or destroy them.

12. tony3333

tony3333 MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2017
    Hi,

I have a y540 17irh, the bios is bricked by an bios downgrade.
    I don't understand the innoextract.
    Can you explain me like a kid how to do? :)
    For the moment, i just launch the exe and choose extract only. An another file exe is generated which can be extract with 7zip. On this folder, we can find a bios.fd file, i rename the extension at bin (like the bios recovery tutorial from lenovo website)

but when i flash with the CH341A, my computer don't start. the power led only light on and off after a few second continually.

:(

13. godmice

godmice MDL Novice

May 15, 2022
    #54 godmice, May 15, 2022
    Last edited: May 15, 2022
    @dlhxr hi i was wondering if you can help me a bit
    i have the same problem like you with my Y740-15irhg, (works now) but i have the missing info in bios, serial number, model, etc due to mobo replacement
    i was wondering if you can help me with a dump of you'r padding area, so i can try and find the exact position i have to enter my serial number etc,in my bios.
    i dont have a dump of the old bios to recover my padding area due to mobo replacement and i have to insert all data manual and i have no dump to compare and no clue in the curent dump i made of the padding area.
    i appreciate any advice. thank you very much

update: or if you can i need the offset for the folowing : product name (pn), serial number (sn), model number (mtm), and i need a second serial number (sn but this one is for the mobo).
    and thre is InsydeH2OSDE accordint to it one unkown type 200 has 2 strings 1is ideapad and 2 is invalid.

thank you.!!

14. Jay Eyken

Jay Eyken MDL Novice

May 26, 2022
    #55 Jay Eyken, Jun 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
    This is like a year down the line now, but i have the exact laptop I think. Y740 17ICHG. I successfully flashed with AsProgrammer (tried neoprogrammer as well) and have the exact same issue. No keyboard lights, no fans. Just LED lights at the back for a few seconds.

Did you ever manage to figure this out? I see no one gave you an answer on this forum.

Hex code block selection looks good. Reading, verifying and comparing written data with BIN file also good.

I've tried 1.06, 1.08, and 1.12. All of them write successfully and verify, but laptop still doesn't turn on. Just LED lights at the back showing for a few seconds.
    At this point I do not know which bios file, or what to try.

Also if anyone else has suggestions regarding this, those are greatly welcomed. Thanks

15. nitin29

nitin29 MDL Novice

Apr 7, 2016
    #56 nitin29, Jun 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2022

Your model is 17ICHG, rather than 17IRH or 17IRHg. The post 24 mentions bios files for "R" variant as you can see in the attached txt file asking with bios exe. Maybe you are trying to make bin file with R model bios exe. Hardware damage of ic may be rule out if you can read and write the ic with verification.

Your case looks different though as the fan doesn't spins and keyboard led doesn't work, only back led lite for some time if I got your post right. Perhaps the main microcontroller ic or EC ic firmware got corrupted and it's not the bios ic at fault and it is not easy to program those firmware on those ic, specialized shops have knowhow and special tools.

So I'm not sure at this point but you can try few things with the initial assumption that only bios ic got corrupted, first download the bios file for your model. Current one will do fine if you have to revive your laptop, then try to make bin file with same offsets. We don't know if they are same or different for your model but try. If that works out. If not then second try may involve comparing the old backup from corrupted and original bios if you took backup. Try to locate the start and end of offsets addresses in R model bios and your original bios. If Lenovo putting same info at start and end addresses, it may help. If you get those, then make bios bin file from C model bios exe. If you don't have original bios, then you have to find on some other forum on internet. If nothing works that way then try to find the bios uc with bios for your model on ebay, people do sale such ic that will be the bios ic replacement, need soldering skills else local electronics repair shop can do it for you and some forum sells bios bin file too though this forum is to learn through trying to find out so here people can help you. Try to write to senior members directly, maybe they can help you like I got the help. Maybe they can just locate offsets for you.

Hope that info. helps.

16. Puji Muhammad Ilham

Puji Muhammad Ilham MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2022
    do you have a 16mb bios file? for legion Y540 15IRH

17. WolfsParadise5

WolfsParadise5 MDL Novice

Nov 14, 2022
    #59 WolfsParadise5, Nov 24, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
    Hi,

I have a Legion Y740-15ICHg, my laptop initially had an issue where the laptop would start up with the fans spinning for a few seconds with the keyboard LED controls fully working. However, the laptop did not post.

I used the AsProgrammer method with the CH341A with the Lenovo v1.12 bios from the lenovo website (which was the only version i was able to get) and grab the .bin file based of the process shown in an earlier forum reply. BIOS Chip was a Winbond 25q125jvsq

However, the end result was the same issue, blank screen, no post, but the fans did spin for a few seconds (slightly longer I noticed), and the keyboard lighting controls still work. I did notice when plugging in the charger, the laptop immidiately turned itself on to the same issue, a behavior I only noticed once after reflashing the bios.

This time round, I did not have a bootable device on the computer as I have swapped my NVME drive into a new computer, wonder if there are any more suggestions to fix this laptop lol

Or should I try putting in a live Ubuntu USB just to test

18. 97dake

97dake MDL Novice

Dec 2, 2022
    Hey, I bricked my bios by memory over locking, I seem to have similar legion model as yours. Can you send me your bios backup if possible.