[Solved] LSI 9211-8i not working in win 8.1 (work fine in whs2011)

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by AUGieDogie, Feb 23, 2015.

1. AUGieDogie

AUGieDogie MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2015
    So I'm rebuilding my home server, I was hoping to just use win 8.1 as the OS, and I ran into an unusual problem. For some reason my HBA isn't working. Its an IBM M1015 flashed to 9211-8i IT mode, which i use with flexraid. Everything shows fine in device manager, all devices accounted for and drivers installed. But I just cant get the drives connected to it to show up. I've used the windows drivers for everything, and attempted (unknown if it worked) to use LSI's drivers. Note, this is before i have installed flexraid or any other software.

I know that this card has some problems with win 8.1 but everything i have read are for different problems (BSODs, Error 10 etc )

I know the drive and controller work, because everything works on the WHS OS drive in the exact same machine.

Any help very much appreciated

2. leebo_28

leebo_28 MDL Senior Member

Jun 12, 2011
    I had drives formatted to a zfs pool using an lsi 9211 "R-mode" , couldn't get the drives recognized by windows until I went back to freenas and deleted the vdevs and pool..different scenario I know

3. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    In the rebuilding process has the bios reverted to default settings possibly changing things ?

4. AUGieDogie

AUGieDogie MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2015
    I tested the card with just a plain spare drive i have lying around. It shows just fine in whs2011, but not at all in win 8.1, not listed at all in the storage section of admin tools. That's why I'm stumped. Same machine, settings hardware everything. Just for gets and shiggles, i put the oldest version of win 8.1 i have and it acts the same as the newest build, so its not some weird M/S thing. Hell, I even moved it to another pci slot.

Thanks

Aug

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Maybe you need to setup Windows 8.1 as Server OS! That means enable all those needed Server Services like IIS and others. Why didn't you try Server 2008 or 2012 instead? I would give those a try if you're unhappy with WHS2011!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. AUGieDogie

AUGieDogie MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2015
    server 2012 r2 has the exact same problem as windows 8. ( I just got done with a test install) I used the latest lsi driver for it. and it has the same issue. no raw listing for any drive i attach to the card. It "feels" like a driver issue but according to M/S i have the latest driver.

Its not that I am unhappy with WHS, i was just wanting to test out some options of the newer versions, Actually server 2012 essentials was my first choice, but win 8.1 was much easier.

7. AUGieDogie

AUGieDogie MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2015
    DOH!!!!!!

It turns out that the power connector to my backplane got knocked loose during some of my remounting work, this whole project was because i got a new motherboard for my main system. Anyway apparently that power connector wasn't fully reseated into the PSU. Funny how a little thing like no power can make stuff not work.

thanks for the help
    Aug