[SOLVED] Media Refresh vs Normal versions of windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by hotsu, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hotsu

hotsu MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2007
    Hye, I have searched for this on google as well as this forum but couldn't find it..
    Can anyone Please clarify: What is the difference between Media Refresh versions and Normal Versions of Windows 7??

Please forgive me if this is a repost or if this has been answered:confused::confused:..Kindly redirect me to appropriate post..

Regards..

2. hotsu

hotsu MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2007
    The Chat tool is great..Thanks Stannieman for clarification via chat..
    Here's the short transcript:
    New [21:03:01] hotsu: whats the difference between media refresh and normal versions of windows 7??
    New [21:06:09] Stannieman: in the original SP1 iso there was a bug when using non-ascii characters in the computer name. Although you can change the computername at any time, it's first aked in OOBE, and that is before any update is installed through WU.
    New [21:07:32] Stannieman: The media refresh is exactly the same but with 1 additional update integrated to fix this bug. So now you can use non-ascii chars again in OOBE. There was something else fixed in the setup process too, but I don't remember what.
    New [21:08:44] Stannieman: Because the bug occurs only in OOBE the patch isn't available as a separate download, cause it's useless anyway when OOBE has already ran. Therefore you can't integrate it with DISM and the only way to get a bugfree OOBE is with the media refresh.
    New [21:10:34] Stannieman: And last but not least in my long story: the difference between SP1 and SP1 media refresh is small, so there are xdelta patches available that are a bit bigger than 100MB to convert your SP1 iso to a refresh one. You can avoid downloading a new iso.

3. hotsu

hotsu MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2007
    Thankyou for the quotes..I had read it earlier but couldn't interpret it..as i thought it was unwise to release whole new version just to fix a single issue..But now i understand the issue..Thank you all for the most helpful info..
    Regards..