[Solved] Preserving hardware-id without installing Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Obelix, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Proph

Proph MDL Junior Member

May 2, 2007
    I was offline... since the laptop is wireless. I entered my wifi info when it first booted into windows 10. Then I copied the xml to the directory before restarting the VBox.

I'm also wondering if it has anything to do with the options I selected in Daz Loader. I noticed for HP there are multiple options. HP or HP 2.2 (or something like that). I wasn't sure if it mattered so I selected the HP 2.2.

I wouldn't think this VBox would be flagged for any reason. I have successfully activated Windows 10 Pro by using the long method after using Daz Loader from Windows 7 Pro. But I was testing from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Home using this new method when it failed. I wouldn't think it would flag it from home but not on pro. But who knows.

If Yen says it works... then I'm sure it does. ;-) I trust you. I'll keep testing on my end and I'll let you know once I get a successful activation using this quick method.

2. cheezels

cheezels MDL Junior Member

Jan 17, 2015
    This works for me! This is amazing! You have no idea how much time and money this is going to save me. Thank you everyone! :clap::clap::clap:

3. pvdven777

pvdven777 MDL Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Whoa ! Don't cheer too soon.
    We seem to be well on our way, however this still doesn't quite go all the way I would think.
    This trick does cut out a lot of work, however in my understanding we're still not actually uploading the info into the Microsoft database, which means that if we want to activate and remain activated (online) after one year it probably will not work.

... or have I overlooked something ?

4. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    We can probably assume that the HWID activation used for the free upgrade will not be used after the year is up. Only systems that have registered with the micosoft server will have clean install activation's. So if the system has not contacted the server with a win 10 loaded within the year, it won't activate. All new win 10, purchases should be old key type for non VL KMS, MAK.

5. Obelix

Obelix MDL Junior Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Thanks from me, too. I thought i would stuck on swapping hdd's :D.

6. herrkarl

herrkarl MDL Junior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    @odiebugs1

This is pure speculation, but why should they shun the hwid system after all the trouble setting it up? Does not make any sense to me.
    They could also use the new W10 Keys for validating against their key db just to activate the OS and put the HWID in the database as they do now. They have their HWID DB anyway, why not use it further for SaaS (and gather more user hw data too)?

7. Symenb

Symenb MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2010
    @herrkarl
    Well, since RTM they apparently also use it for the insider builds so it may not be completely useless after July 2016.

Perhaps W10 OEM PCs will also be activated with hardware ID ? It could make sense, the manufacturer wouldn't have to ask for Licence keys and write them in each BIOS anymore. They could simply give the serial numbers, MAC addresses, etc... of each individual PC to Microsoft which would generate the hardware IDs and add them to their database of activated computers.

8. clyss

clyss MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2013
    Hello,
    could someone post gatherosstate.exe (x86) version?
    no time to download full ISO...
    Thanks !

9. blero

blero MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2009
    Hello,

You can do clean installations of W10 from scratch in VMware virtual machines, using a GenuineTicket.xml file generated in a W7 VMware virtual machine.

1. Install W7 in a VM, and activate it.
    2. Generate the GenuineTicket.xml file in this VM, with gatherosstate.exe like it's described in this thread, and save it (on a USB key for example).
    3. Create a completely new VM, deactivate its virtual NIC, then install W10 (with an ISO, for example).
    4. Copy the generated GenuineTicket.xml file in c:\programdata\microsoft\windows\clipsvc\genuineticket\
    5. Activate the virtual NIC.
    6. Wait a little while, go check the activation -> Windows is activated !

(With this same GenuineTicket.xml file on an other (real) computer where VMware is installed, you can't activate clean W10 virtual machines... It says: "Connect to Internet to activate Windows". But it's already connected)

The interesting part, I think, is that despite the fact that VMWare VMs don't have the same HardwareID, they still can use the same GenuineTicket.xml file to activate...

10. beta-hunter

beta-hunter MDL Member

Dec 14, 2008
    what if i used the GenuineTicket trick but i didnt have access to the internet,would windows 10 show "activated'

11. blero

blero MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2009
    It would show: "Connect to the Internet to activate Windows".

12. natong

natong MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2009
    Can we update BIOS/UEFI to the new version?