[SOLVED]Question about drivers in ubuntu and other similar distributions

Discussion in 'Linux' started by elprobador, Jan 6, 2019.

1. elprobador

elprobador MDL Novice

Dec 27, 2018
    Hello guys,
    I have a motherboard ASUS P5SD2-VM and installed Xubuntu but I don´t know if the drivers install actumatically. I want to know if Xubuntu installed the IGP drivers (SIS Mirage 3+ Integrated Graphics) and drivers for other motherboard's components.
    I reviewed the option about drivers in the software that provide Xubuntu for update and install drivers, it said that everything updated.
    I'm new in Linux and My Digital Life, any idea helps me, please take me patience and I'm sorry for my English :).
    Thanks you.

2. windsman

windsman MDL Expert

Jan 11, 2010
    Hi
    Welcome to MDL;)
    You should be fine, Linux work different than Windows for the drivers.
    Windows needs manufacturer drivers installation while most of the Linux drivers are open-source and already integrated into Linux itself, generally part of the Linux kernel, Xorg for the graphic and Cups for printer, but sometimes manufacturer provided their own closed-source proprietary drivers (especially for wifi drivers(sometimes you need them for working and graphics (which can give you better performance if you're a gamer).

You can always check your graphic card driver in use (proprietary driver or open-source), by opening terminal and run :
    sudo lshw -c video | grep 'configuration'

windsman.

3. elprobador

elprobador MDL Novice

Dec 27, 2018
    Thanks Windsman, I really appreciate your response. I read something on another website and looked at the Xubuntu options, I think Linux assigned an alternate driver that is part of the kernel as you said, it works with a worse permonace, but it's enough for my demands.
    I knew nothing about that command and the terminal, again thank you very much.

4. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    #4 Muerto, Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021