[Solved] Realtek audio output through speakers disabled after upgrading to Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ksio89, Oct 6, 2015.

1. ksio89

ksio89 MDL Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Since I upgrade to Windows 10 (coming from 8.1) in my friend's Dell Optiplex 3011 All-In-One computer, with built-in speakers, the audio has been disabled, and I see the Windows speaker icon is with an "x". In Windows 8.1, the audio was working normally, so it's not a hardware issue.

However, if I plug in an earphone, the audio output is enabled and the Windows speaker icon changes to normal one. I installed the latest version of Realtek HD Audio driver (R2.79), and restarted, but the audio continues disabled unless an earphone is connected.

I first upgraded to Windows 10 and installed the Realtek audio drivers. Then, I performed did a clean install and installed the Realtek audio driver again, but audio is still disabled. When I open the Realtek Audio Manager in Control Panel, only the microphone tab appears. When I plug an earphone, the speaker/earphone tab is visible as it should be, disappearing after I unplug it.

I reinstalled Windows 8.1 in his system hoping to have audio working again, but the problem persists. I've tried installing the Realtek HD Audio driver from Dell supporte page for my product (entering the service tag to be 100% sure), but no luck. Windows troubleshooting is useless as usual, not giving any help, only asking me to plug in an earphone, like I didn't know it. I even upgraded Dell BIOS/UEFI firmware to latest version (A07), but it didn't fix anything. Does anyone know how to solve this problem? Thanks in advance.

I've upgraded to Windows 10 again, but audio output still disabled when a headphone is not plugged in.

Info:

System: Dell Optiplex 3011 All-in-One
    Realtek version: R.279

2. David34

David34 MDL Member

Sep 6, 2015
    I got realtek too, output from pc to TV screen then separate speakers. Pc to TV connected through hdmi then speakers connected to audio in TV and all works great with both Microsoft and realtek drivers. Windows 10240 x64

3. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
  4. ksio89

ksio89 MDL Member

Nov 20, 2013
    #4 ksio89, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    (OP)

Sorry man, I'm not trying to be rude, but I can't see what your setup has to do with the issue I'm describing. My friend's Dell AIO has embedded speakers and he does not connect it to a TV, it's just that no audio is coming through them, because the Realtek HD Audio output is disabled unless an earphone is plugged. It's like Windows or Realtek drivers were not detecting that this PC is an AIO, with embedded speakers, I don't know what else to do. As soon as Windows 10 started after a clean installation, I've waited for WU to download and install the drivers, but it always says an error occurred. Curious is that Realtek HD Audio adapter is showing up on Device Manager and there's no exlamation, triangle or any other symbol or message saying there's an issue with the driver. When I check /Program Files/Realtek and Program Files (x86)/Realtek, all files from Realtek HD Audio manager and drivers seem to be there.

He would call Dell technician to try to fix it if this computer if it were still within warranty period, but it has expired a few months ago. Basically, he would pay a lot of money and the Dell guy would just advise him to downgrade to Windows 8.1, which is something I've already tried and did not work.

Yes, the Realtek adapter shows up in Sounds applet on Playback tab. I can't post links or images yet, but there's an red arrow icon pointing downwards saying that it's "Not connected". As soo as I plug an earphone, it changes to the loudspeaker with green tick icon saying it's the "Default Device". Thanks for the replies guys.

5. qwerty12

qwerty12 MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2010
    #5 qwerty12, Oct 6, 2015
    I had exactly the same problem with an ASUS laptop (w/ ALC663) on Windows 8.1. What worked for me was either using the stock Microsoft drivers (which I preferred personally because of the MS Bass Boost APO and less latency but the external subwoofer extension wouldn't work) or downgrading to version 2.70 (Vista_Win7_Win8_R270.zip) of the driver.

EDIT: now that I've seen your later posts, my problem wasn't quite the same: the speaker would show as connected, everything fine etc. but no sound would play from it. Headphones worked fine, however.

6. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    That's a good idea to try, he just has to uninstall realtek and reboot, win will load default HD audio.

7. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
  8. ksio89

ksio89 MDL Member

Nov 20, 2013
    #8 ksio89, Oct 6, 2015
    (OP)

It's a Dell All-In-One computer, I guess it is a very customized hardware.

Already uninstalled Realtek drivers and rebooted. Occasionally Windows will install default drivers, but the audio output through speakers is still disabled. The adapter shows up on Device Manager and Realtek HD Audio Manager (branded as Dell Audio) is visible in Control Panel.

It can't be speaker cables unplugged, it was working fine with Windows 8.1. I don't know if Dell AIO computers are very exotic, but I don't see any plausible reason for disabling audio through embedded speakers.

9. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    #9 odiebugs1, Oct 6, 2015
    Sorry, this opti is a AIO, it's a monitor.

I thought you said you reinstalled 8 again it they didn't work, so that's why I said to check the plug. I look at manual and you can see the speaker plug, but looks like the full cover must be pulled.

10. ksio89

ksio89 MDL Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Don't like necroposting, but I would like to say Dell has released a BIOS update (A08, from A07) and it finally restored audio playback under Windows 10 (build 10586). My friend is very happy again, because he was almost 6 months without sound lol. Thanks for the help anyway, case closed.