[Solved] Restore USB stick?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Nikolai007, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Nikolai007

Nikolai007 MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2013
    I have an USB 3.0 stick that I formatted with Rufus USB. It created 2 partitions (or at least 2 visible). I deleted the 2 with the drive manager and created a single one that seems to work correctly. The problem comes because my PS3 cannot detect this USB 3.0 stick but can detect a different 2.0 that I have never formatted with this new rufus version. I dont know if the 3.0 worked before.

I think that rufus messed something, some flags or idk, Im asking cause I have no idea, I dont know if this is even possible or the problem lies elsewhere.

So my question is this, how can I restore my USB?

Thanks you

Edit: I just noticed that I clicked in the wrong forum. Sorry, could you move it where it belongs? Thanks again.

2. Razor001

Razor001 MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2012
    open cmd as Admin, then type

diskpart
    select disk X (where X is the drive number shown on Disk Manager)
    clean
    (you can close CMD Window now)

make new partitions to your like with Disk Manager

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That's not really correct!

You don't need to use DiskManger, just open CMD as Admin and start diskpart!

The first thing is you need to identify the USB Drive via DiskPart! The complete command sentences are as follow after you opened the CMD as Admin:
    Code:
    diskpart
    list disk (which shows all disk's listed in BIOS)
    select disk (#x) (#x is the number of the USB Drive you like to format)
    clean (which will delete all Partitions on the selected disk)
    create partition primary (just keep it by this and it will create the new partition at the full size of the USB Drive)
    select partition 1
    active (for to activate that new partition)
    format fs=fat32 quick ( for fast formatting)
    assign X (while X is the drive letter you may choose, no X means the next free drive letter will be used)
    exit
    Every single command needs to be ended with the press of the Enter key. You could also use to create more than one partition and/or choose a different size or different structure like NTFS and so on. If you like to get all commands of DiskPart, just enter the command diskpart and on the next screen either Help or /? and all available commands will be listed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. the-fixer

the-fixer MDL Novice

Oct 1, 2018
    #4 the-fixer, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    Hi folks, I'm new here, but I spotted this post and had to comment since I had exactly the same problem recently.
    This solution WILL work. It happened to me quite recently and the use of dispart as suggest sorted it out in minutes.

You MAY need to rename the stick by the way. Mine was a Toshiba, but after using diskpart it simply said 'USB Drive'. I'm not saying you definitely WILL have to rename it, but you you may.

ps. My problem with the stick started with an 'aborted' attempt to create a bootable USB Windows stick.

5. Nikolai007

Nikolai007 MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2013
    #5 Nikolai007, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    (OP)
    deleted

6. Nikolai007

Nikolai007 MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2013
    I finally solved it. The partitions were in GPT, so in diskpart I did "convert MBR".