[Solved] Simulating a 'foreign' network to test remote access...somehow ??

Discussion in 'Linux' started by smallhagrid, Jun 7, 2018.

1. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    #1 smallhagrid, Jun 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  2. sml156

sml156 MDL Member

Sep 8, 2009
    If your not sure it's going to work I would also install TeanViewer, It has the easiest config on Windows and Linux

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    Thanks for replying Sml156.

Funny you should mention Teamviewer !!
    It was all I used for these needs at 1st, for a while - then it started doing odd stuff & became horribly unreliable.
    It would quit, then refuse to authorize, then it made me visit their site after my credentials vanished, then my account vanished too.
    Reached out to them for tech support & that helped about as much as a bad toothache.
    Tried opening a new account there, and couldn't.
    So I moved on rather than trying to unravel that mystery.

Anydesk has been much better than Teamviewer ever was - I'm just hoping for either something even better - or equally as good so that I can do the susenders AND belt sort of thing for these needs.

PS: -Only- a year ?!? Lucky you.

4. fabre gastro

fabre gastro MDL Junior Member

May 29, 2018
    simulating? if you mean you wish to set up a virtual environment (not virtual network or virtual private network or virtual machine) then you may use something like netsim. its a network simulator.
    vnetbuild by firehol. i use it very much to simulate the network which i am going to design.
    i use it to visualize how i need to set up my clients network. its a robust topic and i can never simply answer all the details in a single post.
    its extremely robust and you can literally design all the way upto multi tier isp level set up and test the networking and routing and functionalities.
    if thats what you mean.
    if you mean how to remotely control the remote server then you should stick to ssh, ssh is poor man's vpn, tunnel, etc etc. sadly its command line only. i have never seen/used any gui based ssh command and control method. umm nah no nada.
    i am still failing to understand whats the objective?
    you wish to remote administer a linux/*nix server? lastly there are many roads which may leads to your destination but the journey is yours.
    and secondly, most of the linux installations are configured via command line and a text editor, i don't seem to understand why you need all these.
    and secondly you can buy a cheap wireless router which is supported by openwrt and/or lede and or tomato and you can use it as a gateway between 2 end points.
    wifi router A - home network <-> wifi router B - remote network.
    Router A connects with Router B via ssh (i.e. equivalent to that of a point to point vpn)
    want to go an extra mile, set up a wireguard tunnel between both the routers.
    and now you may have windows OS behind both the routers and you may ssh and or ssh over wireguard and then remote desktop into the remote windows machine back and forth.
    makes sense?
    nah?
    then you are a rookie i am sorry and you need to read a little more and spend more time researching. because you are going for a short cut quick fix, it may/may-not work. and if it doesn't then a failure and a pain is inevitable.
    hope it makes sense.

5. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    Too funny - rookie !!
    I was using computers before there was such a thing as a screen - just teletypes with card readers & huge mainframes !!
    Pre-PC - very much, for real.

My quandary WAS that I have but a single connection via ISP & a box that is going far away that I need to be able to help with, but WITHOUT the ability to just get in the car & go there to help these elderly folks.

Much as I wanted to avoid the monkey in the middle, I found that RealVNC & Anydesk, with both installed & configured correctly, cover all the various needs that I anticipate having to meet.

In the process of narrowing down this field I examined a great many options only to find that most were merely big time wasters.
    The worst of the lot were NeoRouter, NetOverNet and NoMachine.

After all that, today I sat down for a while and used Anydesk to install the RealVNC service to a box that is over 100 miles away, then did a bunch of tasks to help out an elderly man who cannot do this stuff himself - a happy day for both o us !!

Thanks.

6. fabre gastro

fabre gastro MDL Junior Member

May 29, 2018
    you are right, do not feed the troll. the defense rests your honor.
    see ya in some other post.
    i am sure others can help you out.
    have fun and see ya later alligator.