[SOLVED] Slipstreaming updates/DISM question

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by prestige600, Sep 15, 2018.

1. prestige600

prestige600 MDL Junior Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Hello, just a couple of questions regarding slipstreaming and dism.

I recently started making my own homebrew iso slipstreamed with the latest updates for Windows 10 1803 x64 editions. I successfully created one using the index for Windows 10 Pro x64 using the DISM GUI tool by CodePlex. However I encountered some minor issues so my questions now are as follows.

1.How can I remove the other editions that I don't need? Because technically I just need Windows 10 Pro (which I later upgraded to Enterprise using the GLVK key from MS). I tried several times using NTLIte, it kinda worked but it broke the KMS Activator v25 by abbodi1406 and is not pre-activating upon finishing installion.

2. Following my first question with regards to using NTlite and preserving the pre-activation... do I need to do it on a clean ISO(to remove the other editions) then just include the $OEM$ folder afterwards for it to pre-activate properly?

3. Will existing and coming feature/cumulative updates supersede the ones I just slipstreamed into the iso?

4. Will the upcoming October 2018 update be available as a separate .msu cab, that can be integrated on the 1803 iso? Or is it a completely new iso with all the included previous quality update?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

P.S: Please pardon me if my questions are sentenced long or grammatically incorrect, not really my first language.

2. joluboga

joluboga MDL Member

Dec 4, 2011
    1. Mount your Windows 10 iso and use this command to find out which index you want to preserve:

Dism /Get-WIMInfo /WimFile:X:\sources\install.wim (where X is the letter asigned by Windows to your mounted iso).

Now let's suppose that your desired Windows 10 edition has the index number 3...

Dism /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:"X:\sources\install.wim" /SourceIndex:3 /DestinationImageFile:"C:\AnyFolder\install.wim"

Now you have a new install.wim file that contains only your desired Windows 10 edition and you can use this instead of the original without any problem.

3. It's not advisable to update a previously updated install.wim, always use a clean one.

4. Short answer: NO. It will be a completely new iso.

3. prestige600

prestige600 MDL Junior Member

Feb 17, 2011
    #3 prestige600, Sep 15, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    (OP)
    Thanks a lot. Seems like the manual commands sometimes is better understood than the gui based ones. Will try this. Again thanks a lot!

EDIT:

Just did the method you posted. Worked perfectly. Thanks again.