SOLVED: TCP/IP Patch for Windows 7 - Event ID 4226

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by andacb, Nov 12, 2008.

1. andacb

andacb MDL Novice

Jun 30, 2007
  2. dvgeek

dvgeek MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2010
    @andacb - Not able to access the site / patch (through both the links).

3. frwil

frwil MDL Addicted

Sep 22, 2008
    #3 frwil, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
    This was needed in Beta times (or even pre-Beta?). MS eliminated connections' limit in Win7 RTM, thus no need to patch tcpip.sys anymore.

4. rasputinuk

rasputinuk MDL Member

May 21, 2007
    #4 rasputinuk, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. rasputinuk

rasputinuk MDL Member

May 21, 2007
    I realise what has been going on. The TCP-Z reads the tcpip.sys file and gets the current hard coded half open connection setting. So one could be forgiven in thinking that this is the current setting the system is using, however if the EnableConnectionRateLimiting setting is a value if 0 or non-existent (Disabled), the operating sysstem will set the TcpCreateAndConnectTcbRateLimitDepth value 0 in the kernel memory, and the half-open outgoing TCP connections limit is removed immediate, without having to restart. The system will treat the new half-open TCP connections as always 0, and thus bypass the limit comparison altogether. Thus, you will notice that event ID 4226 will no longer been logged in Event Viewer. Likewise, when the EnableConnectionRateLimiting is set to 1 (Enabled), TcpCreateAndConnectTcbRateLimitDepth will also be set from 0 to 1 in the kernel memory, the OS will calculate the rated speed of ‘create and connect’ TCP connections been established, and limit the maximum attempts to 10. Which explains why we do not need the TCP/IP patch in windows 7.
    So frwil I stand corrected and thanks for giving me the insight to research the subject....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...