[Solved] Upgrade from 8 to 8.1 (Keep Windows settings, personal files and apps).

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Manospetrucci, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Manospetrucci

Manospetrucci MDL Novice

Dec 6, 2013
    Hello there guys... First of, I wanted to say that I haven't found my exact problem or my main issue in this forum, so I started a new one.
    I had downloaded a Windows 8 Pro 64 (WMC) Preactivated edition through torrent and it worked and still working fine. I did nothing, just installed and Windows are activated for ever. All that about 5 months ago. And I have not that copy anymore, cause it was in Spanish. Although I changed it in English, some things are still in Spanish. Like some devices in Device Manager... Controller is Controladora.

Now, I want to move to 8.1.

My Windows version as the Windows Script Host says is:
    Windows(R), ProfessionalWMC edition
    Windows(R) Operating System, VOLUME_KMSCLIENT channel.

Which as far as I know, means that I cant upgrade through Windows Store but I can with a Windows 8.1 ISO.
    Here comes the problem... With every ISO that I donwloaded, I had never the option (Keep Windows settings, personal files and apps). I had only (keep user files or nothing).

From what I have red, the 8.1 ISO needs to be in the same language as my Windows 8 Pro installations was... Which means (SPANISH). Ok I've found some spanish Windows 8.1 Pro 64 VL editions. They didn't work. I mean they didn't show the (Keep Windows settings, personal files and apps) option. Perhaps cause those 8.1 versions were not WMC editions? Who knows? They didn't mention any info about that.

Now, my questions are:
    -Is there any way to change the VL edition to RETAIL? (So I can make it through the store)?
    -Is there any way to remove the WMC edition of my current setup of Windows 8 Pro? (So I might be compatible with Spanish ISOs without WMC?)
    -Or... Is there anyway to change the core language to english for better compatibility with English ISOs which are more out there than spanish editions, so I can find the one that lets me keep my apps through upgrade?

Thanks again guys...

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. RDaniel

RDaniel MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2013
    Hello. i just upgraded from Win 8 ProWMC to Win 8.1 Pro WMC (activated with KMSpico) a week or so ago, i used Windows 8.1 x64 iso, it asked me for a key, i entered the appropriate gvlkProWMC key and it offered to preserve settings, files etc, which it finally did. After the upgrade, i activated again with KMSpico, and ... ok, that was all! :)

4. Manospetrucci

Manospetrucci MDL Novice

Dec 6, 2013
    -Could you share the exact ISO you found?
    -I made a buckup using Acronis True Image and moved on keeping user files only to 8.1 Pro from a retail ISO. I used many activators, though none of them was permanant. 30 days only. And when I activated WMC there was no way for me to activate it even for 30 days.

Thanks again.

5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  6. Manospetrucci

Manospetrucci MDL Novice

Dec 6, 2013
    -WMC Key? You mean a key for Windows Media Center product? Or a key for Windows 8.1 Pro that supports WMC?
    -Also I tried your guide to remove WMC from my Windows or anyway to downgrade from Windows 8 Pro with WMC to Windows 8 pro, but that process showed the same problem... I could keep my user files only.

7. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    1. The add-on key which adds WMC in Pro.
    2. You need to use the setup.exe under sources folder to force the downgrade.

8. Manospetrucci

Manospetrucci MDL Novice

Dec 6, 2013
    Oh... Thanks again Tito. Appreciated.

One more thing... What about my 3rd issue? Is there any chance to change the language that Windows Installed with? I searched the internet and everybody is talking about the display language.
    The point is that I downloaded many spanish windows 8.1 but there are many different dialects of spanish in windows. Like Spanish (Argentina), (Espana), (Mexico), (America Latina)... And I dont really know what specific spanish language ISO of Windows 8 Pro WMC I used on my first installation. Unfortunately, I deleted that ISO...

9. Manospetrucci

Manospetrucci MDL Novice

Dec 6, 2013
    2. I did executed the setup.exe under sources folder but no success... I had no option to keep my apps. Thanks again TITO.
    If I ever find a solution for my problem I ll let you guys know about it.

10. Manospetrucci

Manospetrucci MDL Novice

Dec 6, 2013
    Solved

So, I figured it out...
    The first install of Windows 8 Pro 64 bit with WMC I made to my PC, was in Spanish... BUT... After that, I changed the display language to my native GREEK language and many important windows updates made in Greek. So, I think somehow my system language was "hardcore" turned in Greek, cause also there was no way to uninstall Greek language when I was trying to get back to system language in Spanish and deleting everything else like US English and Greek. Then I download an ISO of Greek Windows 8.1 I found here in this forum. That gave me the option to keep my apps and windows settings...

Thanks everyone.

p.s. Could someone add a SOLVED mark to the headline?