[Solved] Upgrade from W7 Pro goes to W10 Enterprise ?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by mcl, Aug 18, 2021.

1. mcl

mcl MDL Junior Member

Apr 17, 2011
  2. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    The report shows that the MSDM Pro key was inserted, yet for some reason the token store has got a corruption, as you used KMS to activate Office and as the windows activation failed it also activated the OS too, as it is not known which KMS activation method was used i cant say if that caused the license switch to Enterprise, i do know that KMSPico will as it not been updated for months/years now and so it not work on later Windows 10 OS's/or m$ office correctly and that can cause a license switch to Enterprise.

The corrupted token store is what caused the Query Tool to 'hang' as it attempts to find what is wrong etc.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mcl

mcl MDL Junior Member

Apr 17, 2011
    So is this something that I can repair?

You're right I did use KMS_VL_ALL for Office 2010 sometime ago

Not even using Office 2010 any more.

4. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    as i am guessing that KMS vl all is in auto renewal mode, which because the OS was un-activated then it also activated the OS.

You could try inputting your MSDM key again hopefully it will switch to 'retail/oem' and back to Pro. Every system is different and not all methods can work on all computers, it is sods law that the Dell is one of those that does not like to conform to the rules :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    When a system has a MSDM key and you are installing the OS it is for (Pro in this case) it is better to have the laptop/pc connected to the internet during install/setup this way it will be activated by that key (if it is ok for that OS) and any kms solution used later would skip the OS as it will have the flag set that it is activated already...

6. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    As for repair i think a SFC /SCANNOW or the DISM health methods may fix that side of the token corruption i am unsure as i personally just reformat and start again as i never have the time to mess about trying fixes and hours later nothing has changed, but that just me :)

7. mcl

mcl MDL Junior Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Normally I am inclined to agree, but this PC has multiple profiles and an app that requires a lot of configuration.

I admit that it is starting to look like I might have to bite the bullet and rebuild it from scratch, but that will be a lot of work.

In this instance I'd like to avoid that if I can.

I do appreciate your suggestions.

8. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    I understand, i look after a few computers like that, one is a massive server which is so temperamental, if i fart the wrong way near it, it tends to throw a wobbler :D:D

9. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    There was a tool that made switching License channels easy, but sadly the links to it have all gone :(

I used to have a copy of that tool but think a AntiVirus program ate it off the USB stick and i not have another copy stashed :weep:

10. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    :good3:

To switch back to pro, run in an elevated cmd:
    Code:
    slmgr -ipk <Pro-key>

11. mcl

mcl MDL Junior Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Your hunch was a good one.

I ended up restoring the system back to W7 Pro
    Disabling auto-renewal mode and running W10 setup again

This time it upgraded to W10 Pro successfully :)

Interestingly the time to perform the upgrade was significantly shorter as well. I guess if I were doing these in-place upgrades on a regular basis, the time taken would be an indicator to whether all was going well or not.

Thanks everyone for your help.

12. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Awesome :good3: