[SOLVED] What causes "Testing Mode" watermark?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by heyhachi, Feb 24, 2021.

1. heyhachi

heyhachi MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2021
    Hi,
    I am using Windows 10 Pro 20H2, 19042.804. There is a watermark showing "Testing Mode, Windows 10 Pro ..." on desktop. It seems that this watermark is displayed if a driver or a program is not digitally signed by Microsoft. In order to determine which driver is not signed, I used sigverif. It found 340 driver. 339 driver is signed by Microsoft and 1 driver (wdfcoinstaller01011) is not installed. I also used dxdiag and verified that display and sound card drivers are signed. In addition to that, I used Driver Verifier Manager (verifier) and ıt did not found any unsigned driver.

I am wondering what might cause "testing mode" watermark to be displayed if there is not any unsigned driver? Could you help me in this regard?

P.S.: My native language is not English.

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Try this.
    Usually You can disable this by following the steps below:
    • Run Command Prompt as administrator
      Note: If you are prompted by a User Account Control window, tap or click Yes.
    • In the Command Prompt window, type the following command, and then press Enter:
    • bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF
    • After you see the confirmation, close the Command Prompt window.
    • Save any unsaved work, and then restart the computer.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. heyhachi

heyhachi MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2021
    @kaljukass ,
    I should have mentioned that I found the solution that you have provided in my first message, sorry. I am sure that I do not enable this test mode and wondered why it is enabled. Anyway, I am going to use your advise and disable it via bcdedit.
    Yhank you!

4. Gharlane00

Gharlane00 MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2009
    I would be concerned about Malware. You don't get into Testing Mode by accident.

5. heyhachi

heyhachi MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2021
    @Gharlane00, as your hint I scanned my computer by anti-wirus and anti-malware software and nothing was found. Although we could not found the root cause, I consider this as solved. I did not want to blindly run command to turn test mode off. Thank you @kaljukass for your elaborate answer and thank you @Gharlane00 for your hint.