[Solved] Why BackUp Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by vze2mp9g, Apr 14, 2017.

1. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Hello,
    I've been running Windows 10 64Bit ever since it was released and I also have a Microsoft account email address (user@outlook.com). I usually do a clean install every couple of months because all the junk that gets on my computer after trying different programs.

Every time I do a fresh install and I log onto Windows with my MS account, most of my settings come back, like the wall paper, screensaver and also my Activation key file id restored. I don't have to activate Windows 10 64Bit ever time I do a fresh clean install.

Is this normal, or is there something going on and I don't know about it? I would appreciate any and all comments.
    Thank You...

:cool:

2. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    Due to the HWID (Hardware ID) when you activated the first time, M$ servers kept this info, so it's a normal process. You should be happy with this. :)

3. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Instead of a clean install you could just "Reset this PC". It's a Windows 10 feature! :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Yes, your approach does work, but there are easier ways about it.

Firstly, try doubtful software on a virtual machine. If you don't like it afterwards, just get completely rid of it.
    Secondly, when the system is as you want it in all respects (including wanted programs and updates to that point), before you start your "adventures" create a full backup for it.

5. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Will it wipe all your data and everything stored on your PC including user names, passwords etc.?

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #7 Enthousiast, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    You logon with your MSA (wich will bring back settings, wallpapers, etcetc)? If you don't want that to happen, just create a local windows account, next time you install/reset. You also can disconnect the MSA from your install and create a local windows account.

The reset option even can do a full wipe of the disks (can take hours).

7. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Reset this PC will preserve your personal data (docs, pics, vids...) but installed programs, updates etc will be lost. Inplace upgrade is better as it will preserve programs, but you still lose updates and settings.

Best of all is the system image backup I recommended in my previous post, which preserves everything. You can do it with an imaging program like Acronis, Paragon, even free ones. Ideally, keep the image on an external drive, so that it's not affected by any hardware or malware damage on your PC.