[Solved] Win7 for "Some" Privacy

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by puffyduff, Sep 24, 2016.

1. puffyduff

puffyduff MDL Member

Sep 22, 2016
    #1 puffyduff, Sep 24, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    Hello!

I'm new to this forum and I'm having hard time choosing which ISO/download link/activation tool to use for reinstall.
    Some ISO's were 1 GB and some 3.1 GB,

I need;

1- Download link for most commonly used Win7 (Home/Professional/Any version) (64 bit)
    2- A compatible activation tool to avoid "not genuine" error
    Note: I won't ever update my PC , I will disable/avoid connections to MS as much as I can.

3- Hypothetical Question:
    Is there a way to block ANY connection to Microsoft ever?

Thanks and best wishes,

2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Hi puffyduff, and welcome to MDL.

The larger Windows 7 downloads are those images with multiple versions of Windows 7. (x32, x64 , home premium, ultimate)

For a download link, just look through the posts here and find an MSDN link to Windows 7 ultimate. Make sure that you find a SHA1 hash so that you can check the integrity of the ISO after it's downloaded.

As far as 'activation' goes, if you are using more than a 2GB hard drive, you may have to use a GPT partition. if so, the Daz loader will not work, and you will need to use the KMS solution.
    Search in our projects section to find out more about each of these solutions.

DO NOT GET A PREACTIVATED ISO! No Bueno!. You don't know what kind of garbage has been pre-installed for you.

As far as updating your Windows 7, if you're concerned about Windows updates, then use the Simplix pack. Neat and clean. No muss, no fuss.

You can find these solutions here at MDL.

IMPORTANT: Do not download these 'fixes' from anywhere else but the links provided here! Most of the time, those other downloads are loaded with malware.

As far as Question #3 is concerned, there are many ways to shut off telemetry in Windows 7. There are programs that will modify your HOSTS file, preventing communication to many places, including Microsoft.

Spend some time and read some of the posts here. You will find a treasure-trove of information which will help you protect yourself.

Best of luck.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. puffyduff

puffyduff MDL Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Hi Mike,

Forgive me for asking for specific things such as;

1- Which one of 64-bit Windows(Home premium, ultimate) do you think is the most popular/used one? If you don't know which one is popular, what's your favourite?
    2- Could you give me a forum link for that ISO download?
    3- Could you tell which tool goes well with that ISO? Preferably an easy method.
    Note: I'm not tech savvy enough for that method to change ISO's files with temporary files(I saw it somewhere on the forum). But if you think I have to do it, I'll try and understand that method.

Comment on first post Q3: Shutting off telemetry, disabling services and scheduled tasks is not enough to block ALL connections to MS. Also modifying hosts file to block MS servers won't work since MS overrides it with a DLL and connects to MS servers bypassing your hosts file.
    (More info about how they do it: senk9.wordpress.com/checklists/windows-10-privacy-checklist)

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  5. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #6 LatinMcG, Sep 24, 2016
    and of course nobody mentions OEM offline activation via slic 2.1 in bios mod (if pc already came with 7 it has slic 2.1 already.. not for enterprise 7)

slmgr.vbs /ipk GENERIC OEM KEY
    slmgr.vbs /iLc c:\certificatefile

6. puffyduff

puffyduff MDL Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Hi!

What?

Btw, windows loader Version 2.2.2 is dated 04/02/2014. Isn't it a bit too old not to be fixed by MS?

7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    MSFT can't harm the functionality of the loader and it all works like a charm.

8. puffyduff

puffyduff MDL Member

Sep 22, 2016
    #9 puffyduff, Sep 24, 2016
    (OP)
    I first opened windows loader 2.2.2 -> Install: "The certificate wasn't successfully installed"
    Then used WAT fix for it -> it did it's things and restarted PC
    Opened Loader again -> It showed "Licensed" without even touching "Install"
    I clicked install however, it said it worked. Kept showing "Licensed".

After 5 mins, I checked Loader again, Status: Unlicensed
    Clicked Install -> "The certificate wasn't successfully installed" error.

Note: When I bought this PC, it came with Win7 installed. And it shows v2.1 in Loader. Does it change anything?

9. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Why didn't you mention the system had a pre-installed windows 7 OEM at the OP?

In that case you simply could have used the Multi_OEM/RETAIL project files by the_guardian to install 7 SP1 and it would have been legit by using the slic2.1 table inside the bios.

DAZ' Loader can do this too but i never tried.

10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  11. puffyduff

puffyduff MDL Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Thank you all.
    This website is amazing.

12. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    Easier for novices to stick with Windows Loader. With existing slic, firing up the Windows Loader app will install just the proper cert and key, but not the boot loader code needed for slic emulation.

13. puffyduff

puffyduff MDL Member

Sep 22, 2016
    #15 puffyduff, Sep 24, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    (OP)
    Query Tool results:

Removed

So is it... fine? :confused:

Extra question: After I modify ISO with Multi_OEM_Retail_Project and format my PC, does it activate itself or will I still need to use windows loader?

14. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Yes it should pre-activate, I have noticed by the report key and certificate are installed but you are not activated at the moment.

15. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    #17 CaptainKirk1966, Sep 25, 2016
    An mgadiag report might turn up activation problems that you can not see in the oem query tool results. The certificate failing to install message also smells funny, an mgadiag might give clues as to why.

And, if you click the Windows Loader uninstall button, rerun the query tool, and see the slic table disappear, then you know the slic was provided by the loader, and the loss of activation problem may indeed be related to the way the loader was installed.

I rather doubt that the oem:Dm table and slic table were both provided by the manufacturer, often see just one or other.

16. puffyduff

puffyduff MDL Member

Sep 22, 2016
    #18 puffyduff, Sep 25, 2016
    (OP)
    I formatted with OEM_Retail modified Win 7 DVD, it went fine, seemed legit.
    Disabled updates, scheduled tasks, some services right away.
    After 3 hours, "Not genuine" message popped.
    Using Windows Loader I get this:
    When clicked "Install" > The certificate wasn't succesfully installed
    When clicked "Uninstall" > Removed loader from the boot code, Failed to install trial key

Query Results;
    Removed

17. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Was one of the services that you disabled called the software protection service? It's required for activation and needs to be set to automatic (delayed start).

If it's not sppsvc that you've disabled then it will be caused by something else that you have.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. puffyduff

puffyduff MDL Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Yeah I disable it since I didn't want it connecting to MS servers to check my PC out. Does it connect to internet or is it some internal service?
    Turning it back on now.
    Do reports I shared seem fine?