[SOLVED] Windows 2000 Select Editions

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Threat, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Oz

Oz MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    The Dell Windows XP SP3 discs around include quite a few SATA drivers slipstreamed, works on just about anything.

If your system is a branded one, you could replace the OEMBIOS files on it to match your system, and you are probably good to go.

2. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    #64 johnye_pt, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
    Again, Windows 2000/XP can't install directly from USB without using 3rd party tools and some extra configuration, it's a method for more experienced users.

Have you tried burning the ISO to a CD and install it the normal way? That's the first thing you should have done. Also, for what you want to do you should either use Windows 2000 Pro or Windows XP Home.

3. lovestudio

lovestudio MDL Member

Mar 24, 2014
    to cd i did not try. i try to install win xp pro or win 2ooo pro. i have read yesterday on microsoft site tat from usb stick it ca cause blue screen.

by the way,what about if i get floppy disk block,will that help?

4. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    No need, unless you have to load third-party drivers like SATA or SCSI.

5. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    #67 johnye_pt, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
    It seems we're going around in circles... The BSOD problem happens because you're installing from USB to your IDE hard drive without using the correct method.

Solution 1: BURN ISO to CD and install. Fastest and easiest method, no special knowledge required, all you need to know is how to burn ISOs to CD and how to setup your BIOS to boot from a CD/DVD drive.

Solution 2: Create a bootable USB pen drive with XP installations files or ISO. Slowest method, computer knowledge required and bound to fail until you get it right. You have several options to choose from: rmprepusb tutorials 03, 30, 63, 82, or easy2boot.

If you choose solution 2, you should create a new topic and ask for help there. This topic is about Windows 2000, not USB bootable pen drives.

EDIT: by looking at your previous threads, I'm guessing your knowledge of computers is very limited. If I were you I would burn 2000 or XP to CD and install from there. USB method is not for you.

EDIT2: burn Windows 2000 SP4 ISO or Windows XP SP3 ISO to CD, versions with earlier Service Packs or no Service Packs at all might fail to install on "not so old" computers.

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  7. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    I think that might be too complicated for him. He already said his computer has an IDE hard drive, so it's easier to just install any XP SP3 CD, then use OEMTEST to see which OEMBIOS set he needs and OEMBIOS Changer to change the files and oem key.

8. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    :wha: I give up...

lovestudio please create a new topic and put your questions there, maybe someone with enough patience will be able to help you.

9. lovestudio

lovestudio MDL Member

Mar 24, 2014
    but the these are the last questions, just yes or no/ thanks.

is that also method for future windows like 7,8,9?

ok, let it be, by the way, if I use sockets to connect to my netbook this ide harddrive,can I install widnwos 2000 there and then to reinsert into my old pc?

10. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    Windows 2000 - doesn't require activation
    Windows XP - activates offline with OEM key + 4 OEMBIOS files that matches SLP 1.0 strings in BIOS
    Windows Vista - activates offline with OEM key + Certificate file that matches SLP 2.0/2.1 in BIOS
    Windows 7 - activates offline with OEM key + Certificate file that matches SLP 2.1 in BIOS
    Windows 8 - activates online with original key stored in BIOS by laptop manufacturer
    Windows 9 - not available yet

I don't know what you mean by "use sockets", but a desktop hard drive is 3.5 inches in size, and a laptop/notebook/netbook hard drive is 2.5 inches in size, so it's not possible to insert a desktop hard drive inside a laptop. Either way, you can't install Windows 2000/XP on a computer, then move the hard drive to another computer with different hardware and expect it to work. Most of the times Windows will not boot. Just burn a CD with Windows XP SP3 Home and install it on the computer. If it doesn't have a CD/DVD drive, get one.

11. audioman

audioman MDL Novice

Dec 28, 2010
    Files deleted, any chance to re-upload?

12. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    Probably not, specially when your first post is a request... (even if you have an account since 2010)
    Have you tried Winworldpc? They have a 1.5GB version that's probably what you're looking for.

13. pithwz

pithwz MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2016
    Does anyone have Windows 2000 Server SP4 Polish (MSDN)?

14. Palladin

Palladin MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2014