[Solved] windows 7 ruined adhesive label

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by oversize33, Sep 21, 2018.

1. oversize33

oversize33 MDL Novice

Jul 9, 2015
    The adhesive label attached underneath my notebook is damaged and the 25-digit windows 7 code is no longer read.
    Is there a way to get the original windows code?
    I have the 4 recovery DVDs created after a few days from the purchase of the pc, can they be used for something?

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    That is the COA key, you're laptop probably has a slic for win 7, so you actually don't need the COA (only for eventually directly activating win 10).

You can check if the laptop has a valid slic for 7, using the QT from here: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/multi-oem-retail-project-mrp-mk3.71555/#post-1283849
    If it exists you can use the MRP project for activating the 7 install at install or DAZ Windows Loader for after install.
    Both options will provide a genuine activation.

3. oversize33

oversize33 MDL Novice

Jul 9, 2015
    Thank you for your precious answer.
    I followed your suggestion, and I downloaded and launched the QT software.
    QT worked a bit on my notebook and then returned a blue screen where at last there is the 25-character code.
    I believe it is the genuine code of my notebook, the one on the adhesive label that is now illegible.
    WOW beautiful.

Now I was thinking of making Windows "change product key" and here paste the code obtained with QT.
    Is my method ok? can I proceed with "change product key" windows or do I have to follow another method to insert the genuine code?
    I ask why I'm afraid of burning the code and making it blocked, unusable.
    I enclose the photo of the "change product key" popup that I'm going to use, can I proceed? Windows change product key popup.jpg

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Please post the QT saved report from the desktop, it most likely will show that there is a valid slic for 7 onboard, if so, the key most likely is a oem:slp key (can't activate windows on it's own).

If the QT reports a slic in the bios, you can run daz windows loader and it will install the correct certificate and corresponding oem:slp.

5. oversize33

oversize33 MDL Novice

Jul 9, 2015
    Attached the txt file with the report that QT has saved on the desktop.
    Could you explain what is the next step I have to do to get to activate windows 7?

Attached Files:

6. oversize33

oversize33 MDL Novice

Jul 9, 2015
    I'm not an expert in DAZ. If you explain to me how I do it I gladly do it.
    Thank you

7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Just run it first.

ps, did you try other stuff to get it activated?

It seems the system is HP but the key, shown on the report, is for Dell, maybe the cert is also for dell and it got confused.

8. oversize33

oversize33 MDL Novice

Jul 9, 2015
    I do not have DAZ software and I should download it, but I do not have the link.

It's true, to activate Windows I tried other things like Re-Loader and KMS.
    KMS from error and does not work.
    Re-Loader modifies something in the boot and after the pc it makes DOS black screens and windows no longer starts.
    To get windows back, I need to rewrite the boot sector from a recovery image I created with Acronis True Image.

If you think this is necessary, I can rewrite the boot sector with Acronis True Image and then run QT again.
    Tell me the tests to do and I do them.
    Thank you

9. Sajjo

Sajjo MDL Member

Feb 6, 2018
  10. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    When you ran Reloader, i suggest to run watfix by @Daz first, who knows what files it corrupted.
    You can find the one and only correct windows loader here: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/windows-loader-download.58464/

TIP: NEVER run badly copied activation tools, always go for the original!

11. oversize33

oversize33 MDL Novice

Jul 9, 2015
  12. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    @oversize33

For a better understanding. Windows 7 OEM activation uses a SLIC table in machines BIOS, a vendor specific certificate and a generic key (means the key is used on all devices of a specific batch). If all three requirements are present/installed the system is activated offline instantly.

The COA key from the sticker is a completely different thing and is meant as a fall-back-key in case the mainboard is replaced by one without a SLIC table. Those keys additionally need phone activation.

If you failed to make a copy of your COA key it's unfortunally gone for good :cool2:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. oversize33

oversize33 MDL Novice

Jul 9, 2015
    Now Windows is regularly activated.

If I now do a backup image with Acronis True Image,
    when I happen to format the hard disk and restore windows from True Image,
    windows will be active immediately, or will I still have to run WAT fix and Windows Loader v2.2.2?

14. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Afaik, it should still be activated.

WATFIX should have fixed it now, no need to re-run it.

15. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Technically it should back up all partition information, including your OEM-SLP Certificate/key in the OS so you will be fully activated. :)

No need to run watfix as you already cleaned the OS or need to rerun the loader.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...