[Solved] Windows Server - HID I2C

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by ExtremeGrief, Oct 25, 2021.

1. ijankota

ijankota MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2022
    #61 ijankota, Jul 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
    Nevermind - got it to work after really reading and understanding what people had been doing.
    So big thanks to this forum, my touchpad is working now.

2. Rob Nicholson

Rob Nicholson MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2023
    Well I never - the export of the registry keys from Windows 11 Pro along with copying hidi2c.sys from the Windows 2019 ISO/WIM worked. The enum key was different on my system but you can get that from the first registry export.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\hidi2c\Enum]
    "0"="ACPI\\MSFT0001\\3&c8c3232&0"
    "Count"=dword:00000001
    "NextInstance"=dword:00000001

I have wasted hours on this - wasted because this is a test of my home DR plan where I need to bring up a virtual machine on my laptop in case my dev server fails - an USB mouse would have worked fine :) But sometimes this things become man against machine and principle of it all!

Didn't work first time but then I realised I'd copied the sys file to system32 and not system32\drivers.

So thanks for this really esoteric bit of work.

3. ddanman

ddanman MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2023
    I've spent several days on this thread, and finally got my (Elan) trackpad/mousepad to work on HP Zbook running Windows Server 2022. My scenario was a little different compared to others, so I thought I would share. I am also simplifying the process as much as possible, because after attempting all suggestions in this thread, I found some of the steps not necessary in my case.
    First of all I was trying to install Windows Server 2022 OS on a new laptop directly, not in a VM hosted on my local machine laptop. As stated in previous posts, copying out the registry entries would not work in this scenario as the dev ID/enum keys listed in the registry entries would be different. I also found I did not need to download/install PSEXEC because I was not copying the registry keys as others have done. So after all that, here are the steps I performed in order:

As stated previously in this thread, Windows Server 2022 OS is missing the hidi2c.inf and hidi2c.sys files necessary for any trackpad/mouspad to work. These should be located in C:\Windows\INF and C:\Windows\System32\drivers respectively, but they are not there.

Where are they? Still stuck on the Windows Server OS Install disc.

You will now need to use 7-zip and your personal laptop/desktop to extract the files out of {iso disc path}\sources\boot.wim file (under same paths listed above). Extract boot.wim file using 7-zip and locate both hidi2c.inf and hidi2c.sys and copy those to the USB thumb drive.

Now (thanks to post from @terminal2000) you need to modify the hidi2c.inf file so it will install properly in Windows Server 2022. Make a backup of the original copy first, and then modify line 41 and line 43 and remove "..1" from "NTamd64...1".

Line 41 should now read: %MSFT%=Microsoft,NTamd64

Line 43 should now read: [Microsoft.NTamd64]

Save the file and you are now ready to install the modified inf and unmodified sys files.

Now installing these files on the new server laptop is just as complicated.

Start by rebooting the server, but hold down the "SHIFT" key while clicking reboot from the Windows Start Menu.

When the special "Choose an Option" blue screen comes up, select "Troubleshoot" icon. Then under "Advanced Options", select "Startup Settings". Then click the "Restart" button.

Once the new laptop reboots select the "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" option.

Now open an ADMINISTRATOR PowerShell command prompt

Change Directory (CD) to the USB thumb drive path that contains the modified hidi2c.inf and unmodified hidi2c.sys files. These should be together under the same path/directory.

Now type this command: pnputil.exe /add-driver .\hidi2c.inf /install

You will then get a pop-up warning not to install unsigned or distrusted drivers. IGNORE THE WARNING and proceed with the install. Since the driver came from Windows Server 2022 OS Installation CD, there are no problems with this driver not being signed.

You should see output stating the driver was installed successfully.

Reboot the laptop server again, and voila, your trackpad/mousepad should be working now, and no more unknown drivers should be listed under Device Manager.

Hope this helps others!

4. ramonx

ramonx MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2023
    It works! Thank you! You'are my hero!

5. Avnzx

Avnzx MDL Novice

Jul 10, 2019
    #65 Avnzx, Jan 4, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2024
    Annoyingly enough this didn't seem to work, still booting with signatures disabled and pnputil said it installed fine but msinfo32 still says it doesn't exist. ;-;

Edit:
    Nvm seems to work if you also set test signing on

6. User999910

User999910 MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2024
    #66 User999910, Jan 4, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2024
    Variant for Windows Server 2022 with SecureBoot enable:
    1. Copy hidi2c.sys and hidi2c.inf from Windows 11
    2. Find cat file in Windows 11 for hidi2c.sys using sigcheck - tenforums dot com/drivers-hardware/82345-how-import-built-xinputhid-sys-driver-signature-cat-file.html - (In my case it was C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\Microsoft-Windows-Client-Desktop-Required-Package05110~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.22621.2792.cat)
    3. Copy cat file in same directory with hidi2c.sys and hidi2c.inf, rename to hidi2c.cat (probably, it is not necessary)
    4. Use instructions for pnputil.exe from post #63, for driver installing
    5. Reboot and verify, that touchpad works.

You don't need load OS in Advanced Mode.
    It is better to find cat-file from boot.wim of Windows Server 2022, but drivers from Windows 11 is working too.

7. Sergyus

Sergyus MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2023
    Super! Your instructions helped. For a long time I have been looking for a solution for my Razer Blade 16 laptop with Windows Server 2022 installed. my touchpad is working, thank you very much for the tutorial.
    If anyone has any difficulties with this on ID equipment
    on Intel(R) Serial IO I2C Host Controller - 7A4C
    ACPI\VEN_ELAN&DEV_0406
    ACPI\ELAN0406
    *ELAN0406

The solutions were provided by a respected @ddanman

Perhaps this is a universal solution to get a touchpad in any Windows Server where there is no touchpad support by default.

8. User999910

User999910 MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2024
    Hidi2c.sys is not load after reboot, if test signing mode is disabled (as @Avnzx wrote) and cat-file is not presented.