Some better browser news for a change...

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by smallhagrid, Oct 15, 2020.

1. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    Anyone who has watched the FF situation degenerate for years already will find this article unsurprising while also quite accurate:
    Firefox: The Embarassment of Open Source
    October 22, 2020

Excerpt=>

https://drewdevault.com/2020/10/22/Firefox-the-embarassment-of-FOSS.html

2. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    we my soon see the merge googlefox browser;)

3. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    It already IS - in all but whatever they may rename it to.
    FF is already just a chrome clone.

4. Zalex

Zalex MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2013
    Clean Profiles always works to determine whether is a Bug or a conflict with custom Settings.
    Extension's Devs are also needed to test and optimize their work.
    HA would generate problems, even OS Drivers.

5. NewLinuxUser

NewLinuxUser MDL Novice

Feb 2, 2021
    i was using Mozilla until i read they supported censoring people who does not agree w/govt.

i switched to Brave. what a crappy Browser. it had a built in Ad-blocker which caused videos, comment sections, etc. to take FOREVER to load
    there was no way to uninstall it or completely disable it. there was a switch to "turn it off" but it kept running in the background.
    what a horrible idea.. good ad-blockers require dedicated extensions whose sole priority is to work on the ad-blocker. combing it w/a browser is unwise.

i ultimately switched back to Chromium. i know it's what Chrome uses but Chromium is open-source. a very positive perk.
    i wont claim it's the best but for me: out of reach of Microsoft, Mozilla, and Google.. it serves its purpose.
    also Chromium's performance is unimaginable. it's lightening quick & not too bad on resources.
    [​IMG]

6. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    The latest info about the big G vs. chromium seems rather grim to me.
    I do have it & also have Superbird - but use them very little.

At this exact moment in time I am using Basilisk to post here, and I remain as delighted with it now as I was when I posted the OP !!

The google-ization of the internut is highly discouraging IMO and once the big G removes API access for all chrome spinoffs EXCEPT for its own release & the google-ized Firefox...we'll see what happens with folks who object to how dominant the big G is in our lives.

7. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Tor + VPN combination is best from a safety POV...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...