Some Questions About A Clean Installation

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by A30N, Feb 21, 2013.

1. A30N

A30N MDL Novice

May 11, 2008
    I have a client who has a file server running SBS 2008 Standard FE SP2. There are hundreds of errors in the log, and instead of going through them one by one, which would take weeks, I thought it might be a good idea to perform a clean installation.

Here's my questions:

Their shared network folder is C:\Data, can I perform a clean installation without wiping this out? I suppose I could restore it with Acronis (currently installed) if formating C: is the recommended option.

Each computer logs into the server with the same username and password. If I re-create the same username and password, will it work automatically, or will I have to configure each client computer?

Thanks!

2. A30N

A30N MDL Novice

May 11, 2008
    Yeah, I remember creating answer files back in my college days. Not the most exciting of jobs :rolleyes:

Actually, I uninstalled Symantec antivirus from the server, and all the errors in the log stopped, so a clean installation is unnecessary at this point. Clients are reporting much faster file access too. I am going to set up an on-demand antivirus to run on schedule at night each day instead of purchasing an overpriced real-time scanner. I think this is safe since the client computers are protected with their own antivirus, as well as custom firewall and DNS settings that prevent them from accessing 99% of the internet.

Anyway thanks for your reply~

3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Real time should never be enabled on Server anyway!