Some questions about going wireless

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by pooksahib, Oct 26, 2009.

1. pooksahib

pooksahib MDL Junior Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Hi. I'm considering making my desktop PC 'wireless' but only because I want to have Internet Radio in another room. I've done some research and now have a few questions:

I'd prefer a 'gateway' rather than a separate modem and router. Is any particular brand a recognised 'leader'? Does anyone recommend a particular brand?

Is 802.11n essential or will 802.11g suffice?

I'll need a network adapter. Which is best - USB type or a card that slots into the PC?

Final question. Can a gateways operate both wired and wirelessly? I.e. could I (for arguments sake) still have my PC wired and the Internet radio wireless?

Many thanks.

2. vistadude

vistadude MDL Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Wired is much faster and tons more reliable than wireless. Luckily, all wireless routers also have wired ports. Most have 4 wired ports and allow many wireless devices to be connected. Linksys and netgear are the typical popular brands, although any router will do.

Wireless N is faster than wireless G, but right now few devices actually use the faster specification. Right now the prices for wireless G are a bit cheaper for the cards and routers, and I would suggest wireless G for now unless you're doing a lot of file transfer between computers.

3. rupconat

rupconat MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2009
    Hi. I'm considering making my desktop PC 'wireless' but only because I want to have Internet Radio in another room. I've done some research and now have a few questions:

4. pooksahib

Aug 11, 2009
    Thanks, vistadude.

5. vistadude

vistadude MDL Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Oh sorry I thought the radio is wireless and you wanted to keep the desktop wired. If you want to make the desktop wireless, I would recommend an intel pci card. Intel comes with better wi-fi software than windows xp/vista default software.

6. pooksahib

Aug 11, 2009
    No, you were right the first time. I'm happy with a wired desktop but, because I want better radio facilities in the kitchen, I'm looking to put an Internet Radio there and that will have to be 'wireless'. (A wireless wireless. Hmm...)