Someone explain to me memory management please

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ian82, Feb 8, 2014.

1. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. lllFATAL1TY

lllFATAL1TY MDL Member

Dec 21, 2013
    #2 lllFATAL1TY, Feb 8, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
    memory.PNG

support.microsoft.com/kb/978610

---

looks like you have too much Standby memory, you can use RAMMap to empty it (Empty > Empty Standby List)

technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ff700229.aspx

3. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    yeah but how come so much standby memory? that's a whooping 30 GB of standby memory?!

I also thought that once you run winsat formal, and it detects that you have an SSD, it won't actually allow superfetch to cache stuff (correct me if I'm wrong)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. lllFATAL1TY

lllFATAL1TY MDL Member

Dec 21, 2013
    next time this happen you can use RAMMap to check which process is taking so much standby memory (Processes tab) ;)

5. Helmutcheese

Helmutcheese MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
  6. eydee

eydee Guest

The real answer is superfetch. Google it.

7. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    cached memory. The more shared, the better (in speeds terms). But you should stop using s**tty software (like windows :p) like webroot, qtorrent, etc. They use a lot the hdd and that is cached. As you can see.

8. ALGIRO82

ALGIRO82 MDL Novice

Feb 8, 2014
    i have same problem solved with RAMMap :D

9. Enigma256

Enigma256 MDL Senior Member

Jan 17, 2011
    #9 Enigma256, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
    Ugh. The ignorance in this thread is astounding. How the hell is this a "problem"? Standby is, for all practical intents and purposes, free. Except it's better than free.

When Windows loads data from disk to memory (any kind of data; a data file, an executable, anything), it uses memory that hadn't previously been used ("free" memory). When it is done with that file, it marks that memory as "standby". The only difference between "standby" and "free" is that the former still contains old data. And if memory is required and there isn't enough "free" memory, "standby" memory is used instead.

Why not clear out that old data when it's done? Well, first, zeroing memory isn't computationally free. The CPU has to do work (though not a lot) to blank out memory, so why do it unless you need to? This way, memory is blanked only when it's actually needed to be blanked and recycled. Second, what if that file is accessed again? Now instead of incurring disk access a second time, the system can just flip that chunk of memory back into active status, with zero disk access.

Basically, this is a common-sense feature of any properly-designed memory management system.

The one and only benefit to clearing standby memory is if you're paranoid about security and want to make sure that sensitive data is wiped from memory (and I say "paranoid" because the kernel will always blank out memory that a program allocates, so forcible access of such latent data requires either kernel-level access or physical access to the RAM module).

This also has nothing to do with Superfetch. The only way in which Superfetch plays a role is that through preemptive file loads, it causes more files to be loaded, which causes memory to be marked as standby at a somewhat faster rate. But even with SF disabled, any system that incurs heavy disk access will quickly reach a point where all free memory is standby.

10. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    What enigma said...

It's caching previously used data. It doesn't prevent the future use of the memory. It simply uses the free memory until you need more free memory.

11. Helmutcheese

Helmutcheese MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Same old story and same as the OP 's previous thread 4 weeks ago and 100x the same old Q gets asked before.

Only so many times you can be arsed to try explain it so I keep it short and sweet, the Task Manager shows its cached in the above screenshot.

Wonder who above peep is calling ignorant.