Sony Bios Mods

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by FireSokar, Aug 2, 2009.

1. FireSokar

FireSokar MDL Member

May 1, 2009
    Can someone please look into dumping the Sony Vaio Bios that comes on the laptops so that they can be dumped, flashed and Sliced I have a VGN-FW373J and VGN-FW290 both have slic 2.0 but do not have 2.1 Need someone with extensive knowledge in this to be able to do it. I believe I was able to dump my bios from within windows and can provide it for certain people of knowledge on it.

2. FuzzyMaster

FuzzyMaster MDL Member

Jun 21, 2007
    #2 FuzzyMaster, Aug 2, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
    Sounds like you are volunteering....let us know how it works out. :)

Otherwise, if you are requesting bios mods, this is the wrong place. Read the stickys in this forum and post you requests properly (with ALL requested info) and in the right thread, and maybe your wish will come true.....:D

...or possibly NOT, since no one has successfully been able to mod these SONY bioses. In any case, post in the right place and with bios dumps that you have and be patient....trying to do something that hasn't been done before can take a lot of effort, and added to that is the fact that there are a LOT of requests currently. Not sure why everyone is in such a hurry, especially since v2.1 Certs & keys will likely not be available until we get closer to GA (General Availability is Oct.22).

Btw, there is no such thing as an 'urgent' bios mod. Its a bios mod for chrisss sake, not a life or death emergency, so chill, OK!

3. 4access

4access MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Dumping and reflashing VAIO FW series BIOS (usually it is AMI Aptio™ BIOS ver. 8) is not a problem, just use the attached utility from DOS (not from command prompt).

Command options are self-explanatory /O dumps the BIOS, for flashing back you should use /P /B /N /E.

Editing SLIC is even less problematic because (at least in case of AMI Aptio™ BIOS) you can just overwrite the original SLIC with a new one using any hex-editor, there is no checksum to fix afterwards although you might need to change the RSDT if you want to use a certificate from other OEM. I wouldn't advise changing RSDT because there is a risk that Sony software might stop working if it happens to check for that bit of info.

That leaves us with only one real problem -- lack of Sony SLIC 2.1 bin file. I am looking for that as well. If you find one post it here.

Attached Files:

4. FireSokar

FireSokar MDL Member

May 1, 2009
    DELL Slic

Personally i'll just use the dell slic. Just worried about bricking the bios.

5. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Dell slic will not work without changing the RSDT table OEMID/TABLEID.

Find a way to do this without bricking and you will be ahead of the game here...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...