SOS Recuse my friend Please !!!!

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by phatte, Mar 16, 2010.

1. phatte

phatte MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2010
    Hi ! guys , I try to help my buddy to fix his gateway M 6755 but I fails him:(. It recently stops working, when I press power buttom there are only 2 leds ( power and wireless )blinking, no CPU fan no beep and black screen. I was trying to boot it with out any external devices like cd/dvd , battery , wireless card , memory .... but same result:mad:. Now I do not know whatesle to do !!! Please help me to fix it for my buddy , any help would be very greatful:worthy:. Thank you.

2. Chino355

Chino355 MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2009
    Hey phatte, Sorry to hear about ur buddies laptop. I not sure if I can help. But I'll try my best. Well let's start at the begining shall we.

What where you trying to fix before dis happened?

Was the puter working before dis?

What software where u using?

Suggestions:

1: Unplug/Remove power source

2:If possible remove watch like battery/replacing the CMOS battery, if you haven't done that already

Leave it out for half an hour or so, just to be sure everything is reset. And be sure the computer's (regular) battery is out as well.

3:And hopefully ;) she restarts

good luck!

3. phatte

phatte MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2010
    Hi ! Chino, thank you for your reply. It was working and my friend told me that he has not done anything to the laptop like upgrade any hardware or installing software and suddently stoped working after couple days of no use. He gave it to me with the problem And I did what your suggestions but same result. I am thinking of bios chip or CPU could be defective ???? but i do not know and I do not have a spare CPU to try on and I was thinking of trying to flash bios by using bios recovery in here but that would be the last option .I do not want to fail my friend and do not want to give up . So please help me and help my buddy. Thank you very much.
    Again thank you Chino very much ! any suggestion????

4. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    This doesn't sound good. I don't think bios is your problem. If bios was corrupt im sure you would be getting some beep codes. It souns more likely to be the motherboard IMHO. No post screen , no fans = hardware failiure.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    I would say that the power-on-self-test failed which means hardware failure

6. phatte

phatte MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2010
    Hi all
    Thank you Chino, Alextheg and Secr9ts very much for replying and I am very greatful for all your suggestions. Yes, you are right about the hardware failure. So I went ahead to disassemble the lappy , glanced through the motherboard and I found out that one little coil( look like a little cap) was blown and I removed it and just shorted it out with solder iron and bingo it is now back to live. I gave it back to my buddy and he is very happy and told me to say thank you guys very much for your efforts and time, I am happy for him too. Again thank you very much, you guys rocks.

7. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    It sounds like you have done your buddy a big favour, very lucky for him / her. Anyway, glad to be of help. :D:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. WindDrake

WindDrake MDL Novice

Jun 2, 2008
    Just be aware that by removing a Choke Coil, you're introducing noise to that particular regulated voltage line, and it will cause accelerated wear/tear on the MOSFET devices in that circuit, causing premature part failure. Those choke coils are there for a reason.

9. phatte

phatte MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2010
    Hi ! Thank you very much for your advice, I told my buddy about that and my buddy backed up all his important files to the external drive and as you said the lappy would be dead someday then he will give it to donation. Again thank you, WindDrake.